243: uses and limitations, advantages and disadvantages.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Firepower!

Let us discuss 243 Win. How good is this caliber?

I think it is one of the best rounds in commercial use that can be and in many cases should be introduced in to service.

Very flat trajectory. Hits very well and will bring down anything, only if you adjust your range. I have knocked down a bull from about 70 yards. Dropped him with one shot. It did take him about 30 or less seconds to collapse.

On the negative side, I think it becomes less effective relatively quickly at greater range against bigger game. That, however, is never a concern to me because I like to get very close to game as possible. Dont believe in long range hits. Thats not game for me at all.

Since past few month I have brought a bunch of mid to big size games. Used various calibers. Jumped to 7mag but quickly realized that I can do everything with my priced 7x57 Zastava 1950 double trigger. Now thiking that I might be able to use 243 as well. Next on hit list is blue bull in coming march.

243 has many positive properties. It's very accurate, flat shooting, and little recoil. I'd say a well placed 243 will kill most things hunted in N.A. I'd suggest larger cals for elk and bear. The only negative about the 243 is it's a little hard on barrels. This alone would keep it from being introduced into service IMO. It's a great cartridge though. I've always hunted with bigger cartridges from the time I started hunting. I got my first 243 2 months ago in a Tikka and love it. 2 mornings ago I shot a whitetail with it and was very satisfied. It does it's job well. This summer it will come along to wack prairie dogs too!:p

The .243 is not harder on barrels than any other caliber, unless you're talking about light bullets at velocities approaching or exceeding 4000 f.p.s.

this weekend i am taking 243 out to take down wild bores.

4000+fps must be handloaded since i am not sure which factory ammo would do that. I have access to federal, norma and privi paritsan. The choice and cost ammo is a huge problem in Pakistan.

The old 25-06 outperforms it

Yeah, and my 257 Weatherby (in the same caliber even!) out perfoms your old 25-06. Thats not what the OP was asking about. He wanted to discuss the 243 in particular not a larger more powerful cartridge.

J.

I have to agree the 243 is probley one of best all around carts out there. (a bit light for elk but some people use it with sucess, I wouldnt).

A very accurate cart. I've seen some dern good scores fired with the 243. I like it for my wife and grandkids. Mild to shoot even in a light rifle.

Regarding the 243 as a service round, some where in my junk pile I have an old infrantry mag that said by the spring of '76, the army will start fielding a 6 mm round for the service rifle, I guess that didnt pan out.

As for barrel life, I've heard they are hard on barrels, but I havent experienced it nor have seen anyone else that has. Even on target rifles that are used extensively. Never did any test so I dont know for sure.

In '99 my wife came off a colt and broke her back. She rebroke it when she was deployed in '03. She has three rods in her back, plus being small (112 lbs) she cant handle a lot of recoil. I had a Win Model 70 action, got a douglas barrel and got a factory Model 70 stock (from a gunsmith who puts plastic stocks on rifles YUK). I chambered it, blued it and put a Luppy fixed 4 power scope on it. That puppy is a shooter, I tried to steal it but she wouldnt buy it. She can shoot it all day with out any discomfort. I'll match it with any shooter out there for deer or antelope hunting at realistic hunting ranges. I even took it to some F Class matches, it held its own at 600 yards.

Yeah there are some supper dooper express magnums out there that will shoot further and such, but for my wife and my 12 year old Grandaughter I really doubt you can beat the 243.

PS this is from a 257 Roberts shooter.

First, let me say I like the .243 WIn a lot. This past Sunday, however, I was with my cousin discussing what to get his son as a first deer rifle. I have recently became a huge fan of the 6.5mm Grendel. I am not going to get into a big discussion on ballistics, etc., other than to say it can launch is very high BC 123 gr to the same velocity as the .243 with a 90-something grain bullet. I also know that both have very mild recoil and long legs at range but the 6.5mm Grendel is really getting some acolades in the game department.

Anyway, the one point that must be said for the .243 WIN is that you can find factory ammo just about anywhere and many proven rounds.

So, in the end, I gave the nod to the .243 as my cousin's boy's first hunting rifle. I'll keep my .270 WIN for now and work on adding a Grendel Bolt to my stable for next year.

Chrisp0410

The .243 is not harder on barrels than any other caliber, unless you're talking about light bullets at velocities approaching or exceeding 4000 f.p.s.

I'd have to respectfully disagree. On this planet....the 243 has a significantly shorter barrel life than the other "service cartridges" 7.62 and 5.56. It's not a matter of opinion but fact.

It’s been dad’s sweet heart for 40++ years. I like it ....but.....

Many deer hunters who come “down” to the 243 have the bone stuck in their head that the heaviest 100-105 grain bullets are minimum. Combine that with the many youth/compact offerings with short barrels (16.5” for Ruger) and on cold December morning the muzzle velocity is far below the red hot mama most of us fell in love with. Actual impact velocities down range can sometimes result in disappointing bullet performance.

If more folks loaded 85-90’s (Nosler’s 85 partition in particular) the ratio of clean single shot kill to excuses would be much better.

On the varmint side I preach not to go to the light extreme either. Pushing 75’s above 3300 is when copper starts to be an issue. Crank the 55’s up into the “photon torpedo” range and you’ll get a real education in copper removal. 80-85’s in the 3200 neighborhood offer a nice balance of trajectory, x-wind performance, energy retention. and keep the ratio of accurate shooting to copper removal in the fun range.

I have a few 243's

Ruger M77
Ruger No. 1
Weatherby Mark V SVM
Remington Model 7 Predator.

For varmints and targets I use Berger's 88gr High BC Match bullet and a nice dose of IMR 4064. For deer I use handloads with 85gr. Nosler Partitions and IMR 4064 again, along with Federal's Power-Shok Speer 80gr Hot-Cor load. I have never lost a deer or felt under gunned in any situation.

The 243 is accurate, has little recoil, and is chambered in some nice handling rifles.

J.

A recently acquired .243 accompanied me on this year's antelope hunt, while other rifles sat in the gun cabinet or their cases as back-up rifles. (.270 Win, 7.62x39, 8x57 Mauser)

I haven't had enough experience to say exactly what the overall cartridge will do, but the Federal 100 gr SP did surprisingly well on a large doe. (Speer SP loaded by Federal)

It actually boosted my confidence in the rifle and the cartridge, instead of lowering it. (I had assumed the .243 would leave me less than impressed.) The particular ammunition I was using won't come along on another hunt, but the rifle will.

In the future, I won't hesitate to grab the ol' 6mm Winchester for light big game. For Mule Deer, I will still be starting off with the .270 Win, though.

Although the .243 can be a great varmint chambering.... I have a .220 Swift. I know there is great potential in the 6mm, but the 75 year 'King of Speed' is just too fun not to use.

Again, on the .243's side... (as J.Chappell mentioned) recoil is pleasant; in my Mossberg 800BSM. The comment of, "There is no recoil to that" has been noted several times.

With my .243 the best load for bigger game is 100gr Hornady Interlock with 42gr of 2209. Its a real hard hitter.. About 2900fps

For some smaller game and varmints i use the 70gr sierra blitz kings with 41gr of 4320. Shoots accurate and flat. About 3500fps.

I love my .243 bought it when i was 18 and will never part with it. Its fitted with a Pecar berlin 4x10 and i have taken most medium game in Australia.

There is always room for a 6.5x55 though:D

Butta9999, If you are an Aussie,how is it that you still have your gun? Yes, hands down,the .243 will do the job on deer sized animals down. Just don't ask it to do somehing the small caliber,high velocity bullet, can't handle.

243 Win is one of the best all-around cartridges currently available. Good for varmints, great for deer. It's really too light for elk or moose, not quite enough energy/penetration to make up for marginal hits, but otherwise it is a great choice.

IMO, the .243 is one of the most versatile cartridges out there. Great for varmints (although more damage than I like) and real good on big game up to big deer. It shoots flat enough and bucks wind better than the .224 calibers.

If I was gonna have one rifle a .243 could fill all my needs. But since I already have a 22-250 I'd jump up to a 7mm-08 or 25-06 for a big game gun.

LK

If I am correct you can own rifles Down Under but you have to apply for a permit. I am not positive about the regulations it was just my understanding that a permit is attainable.

For all you Aussie's why don’t you tell us what you actually have to do so we know what we are in for over here if we don’t shape up, ban together, and make a stand. That means voting, getting rid of those in government who do not vote constitutionally, and boycotting companies that fund the antigun movement.

I'm not sure if the general working man is aware but many of the local unions contribute significantly to anti groups outright and even more so to the politicians who back them.

J.

.243 became my deer gun after I started talking to my friend who has deer hunted 30 times longer than me, he uses a .243 exclusively and has taken a ridiculous amount of deer with it. He bought my old .30-06, but decided that the lessened recoil of the .243 makes the shots he makes more accurate and has since sold the .30-06. I load mine with barnes triple shock bullets and have downed two pretty good sized deer with them, I had to track them about ten feet.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back