243 reload for deer and coyote

JJ45

Hello, I currently have on hand Sierra 85 grain HPBTs and Nosler 95 grain Ballistic Tips.

Appropriate powders that I have on hand are H4350, IMR 4064 and Varget.

I know there are many other options but I'm only interested in what you guys have worked up and recommend with the options I have listed, since thats all I have on hand.

Rifle is a Remington 700 ADL with 22 inch barrel.

My optimum coyote load was/is Sierra 70 HPBT as fast as I could safely send it.
Deer load of choice was the Hornady 87 spire point with the "coke bottle" lead core(never had a core/jacket separation with that one). I've also used Speer GrandSlam and Nosler solid base(both 100 grain) and 95 grain BT with satisfactory results. The 95 BT is very accurate in my 700 and scored what my Pronghorn guide called "the longest shot I ever saw hit the animal it was fired at"( I called it a fairly easy [no wind] 400 yard shot). On the same hunt, I hit a coyote at a measured 425 yards -- neither hit was an accident.

I have killed 3 deer with 243 85gr, HPBT 40grs. Varget 20 thousands from the lands. All 3 were thru and thru lung shots, ran about 25 yrds and dropped. In my Model 77 Hawkeye I get dime size groups at 100 yds.

I've found the 87 Gr. VLD Hunting bullet to be quite effective on deer out of my Wife's Model 70. 3000 fps MV out of her 22 inch barrel.

She got this guy last month at 647 yards.

Karenqus%2020161.JPG

I went lazy and used the Sierra 85-grain HPBT for coyotes and whitetail. On the deer, I limited my shots to neck or cross-body heart/lung POA. No angling shots. Tagged some two dozen bucks.

The bullet is ruinacious on poor innocent coyotes. :)

I loaded 37.5 grains of 3031. For 4064, I'd guess somewhere in the 38 to 40 range.

Coyotes for the hides? Needs a different bullet than Bambi. However, any 6mm bullet over 85 grains will do for Bambi and Wiley if you don't care about Wiley's hide.
Been using IMR4350 for Speer 90m grain FMJ's and 105 grain SP's for eons. One doesn't want the 105 SP if one wants Wiley's hide though. Makes a big hole. The 90 does not.

Use the one that's most accurate for your rifle.
Both are quite capable of taking most animals you'll be shooting.

Back