22's to the range!

Prof Young

See pic below.

Took my Ruger, Phoenix Arms, and Heritage 22 pistols to the range today. Shot Winchester copper plated hollow points and Federal RN lead.

When I really worked at it I got the best groups with the Heritage. Hmmmm?

Phoenix is the most fun to shoot.

Ruger is a real work horse. Great gun.

The Winchester ammo is 1280 FPS and the Federal is 1200. I could feel and hear the difference.

Spent some time shooting all of them with my left (non-dominant) hand and the resulting groups were all about the same and relatively poor.

Thoughts and comments welcome.

Life is good.
Prof Young

Attachments

• 22s.jpg
    22s.jpg
    150.9 KB · Views: 110
I need to do that. A .22 range day. I have a considerable assortment, and a healthy pile of .22 ammo.
Sounds like a plan. Get me in the right frame of mind for an election.

Same idea here - took my two S&W Model 17s to the range today. First time shooting my new-to-me 17-2. Both shot very well (at least when I shoot them in single action).......

I didn't learn to shoot a handgun until I practiced Bullseye with my High Standard Victor.
Yes, easier on the shoulders, ears, arm-and budget.

These days all of my range visits include a .22 or two. Not only because they're fun but that's just about the only ammo I've found available lately. My Taurus TX22 and Keltec PMR-30 see the most time but there are others I enjoy almost as much.

I've equipped a couple of them with lasers and that increases the fun factor by a large margin. Can't beat a bag full of .22 guns and a brick of decent ammo.

Some of my favorites...

I love .22 range trips! I'm up to 3 pistol, 2 revolvers and 1 bolt action rifle. I'm about to build a Form 1 suppressor for my S&W 622 and 2216. After that, I'll probably finally but a 10/22. It will have to be the take-down model with a threaded barrel. Good times!

In recent years all my shooting has been with 22s. I have fired my Browning HP more with the Ciener unit than I ever did center fire. I have one for my M1911s and I wish they made one for the S&W M639/M659.

A few years ago, I took some of my .22s out to the range for the first time in a very long time, and it reminded me of just how much I enjoy shooting them. Pound for pound and dollar for dollar, nothing beats .22 Range Day for pure fun, IMHO. I've only got one .22 handgun picture to upload right now, unfortunately. Still, I like her.
attachment.php

Attachments

• Sunday Funday 002.jpg
    Sunday Funday 002.jpg
    482.7 KB · Views: 2,139
Here's a quick shot of my .22 collection:
50493134777_6d7ecf8ae9_z.jpg

• 1938 Remington Sportmaster Model 341 - Grandad bought it from the Montgomery Ward catalog and got it COD from the US Postal Service! It was my Dad's first rifle and mine, too.
  • 1961 High Standard Sentinel R-102 - 6"bbl, 9-shot revolver
  • 1971 Ruger Standard Model - the original, before they started the MK naming convention
  • 1992 S&W 622 - 6" bbl, alloy frame, stainless slide. 10 & 12 rounds mags
  • 1992 S&W 2213 - 3" bbl, alloy frame, stainless slide, 8, 10 & 12 round mags
  • 2016 Heritage Rough Rider - 6-shot single action, came with .22LR and .22WMR cylinders

Last edited:
Back