22lr

I have a 22LR with the following info on it. On the top of the barrel in front of the sights it says; FABRIQUE NATIONALE D`ARMES DeGUERRE HERSTAL BELGIQUE BROWNINGS PATENT DEPOSE. On the left side of the barrel above the forearm says; 22 LONG RIFLE SMOKELESS. On the left side of the receiver by the edge of the stock it says; HAYWOOD GUNS INDEP. MO. On the left side, on the trigger guard it says; FN. On both the receiver and trigger guard, where they break down, inside where the barrel joins receiver it has the serial #; 657XX. On the stock above the trigger guard is a; P in a circle. There are at least 3 belgian proof marks, only 2 of which I have found. They are on page 1534 inthe 21st edition of the Blue Book of Gun Values. They are the following; Since 1853 - PERRON - View stamp & inspectors mark for parabellum pistols and Since 1924- ____ - Nitro proof for rifled barrel & parabellum pistols. The magazine tube runs from the middle of the buttplate through the stock. You load the shells through the top of the stock.Top loading, I have never heard of this rifle having Smokeless on it or seen it loaded from the top. The barrel is 191/4 inches. There is no engraving. There looks to have been at one time a rectangle metal inlay on the right side of the forearm. Does anyone know anything about this gun?

abac7dc1.jpg

Browning Auto 22 Rifle

Texas Shooter 2, it sounds like you're describing a Browning Auto 22 rifle, pictured above. Browning still sells this rifle but they are now made by Miroku instead of FN. Based on the serial number, without a letter you've posted it would be considered an 'early' version made sometime between 1914-1955. Is this the rifle you have?

Steve Mace

I'm sorry to say, that's not the rifle I have. The one I have doesn't load from the side of the stock, it loads from the top of the stock. Also my rifle say's
22 Long Rifle SMOKELESS on the barrel. I appreciate the effort to help me.

Last edited:
I hope I did this right

The quality of the pictures isn't that good. I think I need new software. :rolleyes: The one I have doesn't allow for picture reduction. The size was to large to upload. They may be to small now. I'll have to see

Attachments

• 22lr2.jpg
    22lr2.jpg
    47.8 KB · Views: 141
  • 22lr3.jpg
    22lr3.jpg
    40.8 KB · Views: 118
  • 22lr5.jpg
    22lr5.jpg
    43.3 KB · Views: 117
Back