22lr sleeve??

old fart

i am asking for friend who just called me, he just got a remington 22lr. from what he told me its an older gun, when he shoots it the gun sprays powder back in his face. no gunsmiths close by but our local shop told him to sleeve it. he asked about making it a magnum but the way its made he was told that it couldn't be done and sleeve was his only choice. where can he buy these?, or is it gunsmith only job? i had no clue so i thought i would ask, thanks for any help.

It's a gunsmith job. The barrel is drilled out and the sleeve is soldered or glued in and a chamber cut with a reamer. Head space is set and the muzzle is crowned. Special tools required and some knowledge.

Just out of curiosity,,,

Just out of curiosity,,,
How much would it cost to re-line a .22 rifle?

I can't imagine it would be cheap.

Aarond

Shop time. Probably 2 hours @ 75 an hour plus parts.

If the gun is "spraying powder" back into his face, I think the blowback needs to be examined. The spring that pushes the bolt forward is probably worn and not holding the bolt forward long enough for the pressure to drop (and powder to burn fully).

A relining job generally costs about $400+. Liners are $150, and you will have about 2-3 hours of labor into it. Cheaper to buy a new barrel (or in this case maybe a new rifle).

If the gun shoots good group, it doesn't need relining. Relining most likely doesn't fix "powder spraying back" problem.

Is it a semi-auto, a bolt gun, or a lever action? How does the spent brass look like?

-TL

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk

Back