.22lr: Sako Hunter, Browning( Miroku) 52 or Anschutz 1416?

MP-44

I believe this go around I will be getting into the local gun club. I thought I would celebrate with a nice, higher-end, walnut-stocked .22lr sporter.

I can purchase the Sako new and can possibly find the other two still NIB or in LN condition for roughly the same $$.

Which would you pick? Any other suggestions?

I know some will say save some money and just get a CZ 457 but I wanted to get something a little more elegant.

Of your three options, my first choice would be the Anschutz, and second choice the browning 52.

It's not on your list, but you may want to consider a Steyr Zephyr II. I just got
one chambered for 22 WMR. It's a nice rifle and you can get one new.

some will say save some money and just get a CZ 457....
That would be my advice--if you want to pretty her up take the action out and drop it into whatever elegance you want. Here's my jaguar sitting in a KRG stock. It shoots very well.

attachment.php

Attachments

• IMG_5215-2.jpg
    IMG_5215-2.jpg
    217.7 KB · Views: 160
Last edited:
Those CZ’s are sure nice. I have been on the lookout for an “affordable” (I know I know…) 527 FS in 308.

I have had good luck with SAKO products, too. Probably not comparable, but I have used a Tikka T3 for YEARS now, and when I picked it up about 10 years ago, it was bargain bin priced. I figured “What the heck…. No huge loss if it is a Lemon”. Put leupold glass on top, and have been just reliably taking deer and vaporizing woodchucks and other small pests, coyotes included.

Action is still as smooth as glass, locks up right every time, and goes bang with ever pull of the trigger on a loaded chamber. I vote SAKO.

I have a few nice 22 bolt rifles, and have shot just about everything out there from basic plinkers to multi thousand dollar rifles, and IMO the 1416 is the one to get in the $1000 range. See if you can find one with the 2 stage trigger.
The CZ 455 and the older, now discontinued, CZ 452 American are also well made rifles. They are in the $600-700 range.

I love 22LR bolt action rifles. Have a safe half full of them. Ruger 77/22s, Remington 541Ts, Remington 510s, Winchester 52s. Yep, they're cool. But I get a little tired of working through them all the "really cool" ones to get to the ones I shoot. Ruger 77/22s. Not really flashy, but old school cool. Not sophisticated, but look very nice. They work really well.

I said that to say this:
Pick one you like and shoot it.

* Winchester/Browning 52s are old school cool, but a pain in the butt to shoot. They are heavy and have a 5-round magazine. Yes, they look cool, very sophisticated. Are you going to shoot it?
* Sako Hunters are cool, you can change the barrel and shoot different cartridges through them. I think they're a very nice rifle, and very accurate. Definitely would be on my list of acceptable rifles.
* Anschutz rifles shoot well. No argument there. I am not a fan of the European modernistic stock designs, and the ones I have shot did not impress me that much for the price.
* CZ452/455/457 shoot very well. They are light weight and very easy to carry. They shoot very well. They also have 5-round mags.
* You could go semi-custom like a Cooper 57M. Nice rifles if you have the urge for one. And they shoot really, really well. Again, 5-round mag.

Any one of these would give you bragging rights at the range or hunting rabbits.

Out of the ones you listed, I would go with the Anschutz. I love their .22 rifles, and the iron sight models as well. Give the Bergara B14 22 a look too, another excellent choice.

I use my 457 Training rifle when I want to use iron sights. For the price point, it's great.

Back