22LR Rifle - Chamber Mop/brush suggestions

ThatsNice

I have a savage bolt action, 22LR that after about 50 rounds has build up in the chamber. Its some type of residue that sticks to spent casing and prevents the proper ejection of the case. Any one have suggestions on how to prevent it?
I clean after every range session and only use very light oil and run patch till dry. Also looking for suggestion on chamber mop/brush as Im guessing its slightly larger size then the barrel bore. I have .22 bronze brush for the bore but dosent seem to clean the chamber good enough. Any suggestions are welcome, and thanks in advance for your help.

Larry Nelson said to get a loose patch or swab wet with C4 carbon remover or other solvent in the chamber and let it soak for 15-20 minutes. Then brush and wipe. A 6mm bore brush works as a .22 chamber brush.

As a side note, headspace tolerances in 22lr are generally much smaller than those of a typical rifle cartridge; especially if your rifle has a match type chamber. Even variances in rim thickness can create issues using factory ammo. 22lr ammo often consists of unjacketed lead and whatever "magic sauce" lubricant the manufacturer is using and it can accumulate fast in the throat. The lead can layer up and with a borescope look as if it were the metal of the bore.

Back