22lr Revolver

If you get a Smith, suggest an older one, such as Models 17, 18, 34, 35. 17 or 18 for serious target work and fun. 34 and 35 for serious fun, and fun target work. Fit, function and long term reliability generally greater on the older ones and they can usually be found for less than half the cost of a new one.

Sam

If you're looking for a 6" barrel the S&W Model 17 without the full underlug is a great revolver. If you're looking for a 4" the model 18 is the way to go. They are both well balanced and accurate. They can be had for $250-$350.

Randy

22 revolvers sa & da

The Ruger Bearcat is real nice as is the Super Single Six in an SA 22. In a DA I like the Taurus model 94 in blue or stainless as well as the K-22 (older one made out of steel without the underlug barrel - useless in a 22 anyway). The Dan wesson is nice if a bit heavy. And the SP101 is real, nice in this caliber as well. (Althrough I prefer it in 38 or 32 magnum)

S&W Model 17

I've had a S&W Model 17 since 1983. Thousands upon thousands of rounds have passed through this revolver without a single problem. Mine has an 8 3/8" barrel with the factory Target Hammer, Target Trigger and Target Stocks.

It is an excellent revolver that is amazingly accurate. It would be very difficult to do better than a Model 17 .....

single action:
fun gun - ruger super single six, fun gun that will last forever and always work
target grade - freedom arms 252, superior workmanship...a work of art

double action:
fun gun - i love my 6" m-17, but i'm always drawn back to the beauty, balance and accuracy of my 4" colt diamondback
target grade - dan wesson, interchangeable barrels, grips and sights...this would give the freedom arms a run for the money

My preference,
Dan Wesson Model 22 with 4" barrel attached. The 8" barrel shoots great, love the sight radius, but is very muzzle heavy.
If you can find a good Diamondback by all means grab it. They are really well balanced.
Take Care

Ruger super single six

:cool: If you prefer or like SA go with the super single six if you want you can shoot .22 mag or lr by changing the cylinder witch they give you. You can get it in barrel length up to 9 1/2 . Ruger also make a DA in sp101 I think but I have never shot it. I own a couple rugers and love them both, hope your happy with what ever you choose.

good shootin

Ruger's Single Six w/the .22 mag cylinder - a nice package, fairly inexpensive, very nice trigger, & the mag allows to up the game a bit - a nice option.

S&W's 317, that l'il aluminum jobber - 8-shot .22LR at 11 oz is just too handy not to have. Get the one with adjustable sights. Oh, & a really good holster, 'cause you'll swear it has fallen off it's so lightweight. The good holster precludes the worry factor. My "always" gun whenever in the woods.

Heavy sigh! for a 17 ....

.22 revolver?

How do you intend to use this revolver?:confused: Woods carry, target shooting, cheep practice for a big bore revolver, survival? Try to fit the gun to the intended use. I think you will be more happy with the end product. :)

There's no comaprison between the old Model 17 and the new 617. The old 17's were (are) worlds better. They are out there if you look hard enough. I managed to pick up this pair a couple of weeks ago for $330.00 apiece.

Rugers are nice, but...

Rugers are nice. I would recommend the 9 1/2" for serious plinking or target shooting. The problem is that often their triggers aren't the slickest from the factory, so you need a trigger job. Their rear sight is not very precise in it's adjustment. My screwhead was not true to the shaft. Bowen and Bomar make good replacement sights. However, after you get done doing all of that, you might have just gotten a S&W.
Take a look at the new Taurus 6 1/2" that is on the .22 hornet frame. It is 8 or 9 shots and looks like a good plinker!

citra45's ? is, of course, the definitive question before you ask anything else, as with all other "what's the best?" posts/threads.

What is it you want the thing to do & under what circumstances?

BTW, citra45, welcome to The Line. ;)

Betcha, citra45, (re TFL) it is.

& back to the topic stater - "I am looking into getting a new 22lr revolver. Which ones do you like?"

"We" listed what we like. It was merely the question, being definitive in its specifics, that was lacking. ;) All the answers were good - on their face.

We each provided our own examples of our faves based on what we do & without (usually) clarification of those uses.

No doubt, if nothing else, we need better questions asked.

:D

If you want the best .22 Revolver available you won't find better than a Smith&Wesson Model 17.This gun is the same size as the .32 and .38.It is a useful practice gun if you shoot either of the other calibres.
Unfortunately,because the .22 is a brass case rimfire,you need a heavier hit to set off the primer.You just can't get the trigger to go as softly as a centrefire.
Despite that,it is good for practising your trigger control.The hard pull is not so bad once you are used to it.
If you can afford to have the trigger machined to combat profile then you should do it.It works better on double action.Also,of course,add a millet rear sight and a Davis BD/L grip.
That's just my experience.

Back