.22LR out of a .22 WRM

Futo Inu

[This could fit just as well in Pistos, but....]

Can this be done? Aren't these two cartridges designed the same way, with a "mushroom" shaped bullet whose diameter is the same as the case? If so then there's no chamber shoulder; hence it should work, No?

Nope, the .22Mag case is larger in diameter. If you fire a .22LR from a .22WMR gun, the case will usually split, and of course the accuracy sucks too.

What Johnwill says is absolutely true.
I have done this in a 22 rifle that was converted to 22 Mag but not marked as such. Accuracy as about 8" at 25 yards and close to half the cases split to some degree. The others all were badly buldged.
We just could not figure out what was wrong at first, but a gunsmith who looked at it knew what was going on as soon as he saw the split cases.

The bore diameter is also different between the two. The .22LR has a .223" diameter while the Mag has a .224" diameter. This means that the LR bullet is undersized for the bore and accuracy will suffer.

NJW in AZ

The .22 lr uses a 'heeled' soft lead bullet, with the part of the bullet inside the case smaller than the rest, which is the diameter of the case. LOOK at one and see. The case measures around .223.
The .22 Mag RF has a 'regular' .224 bullet inside a case that measures around .235 at the mouth of a loaded round. So firing a lr in a mag chamber will result in a grossly swollen and perhaps ruptured case, not a good thing in something as lightly bolted as the average rimfire rifle.
I have ACCIDENTALLY fired a .22 lr in the Mag cylinder of my Ruger Single Six convertible revolver. No catastrophe. The case swelled; the bullet hit in the group slightly low. A bore cut for lr only is probably too tight for a magnum, even if rechambered properly. A convertible like my Ruger is bored for the Magnum bullet, and the lr slugs up .001" to fit. Accuracy under these circumstances is surprisingly good, my Ruger shoots a bit tighter with lr's in its lr cylinder than it does with magnums in the WRF cylinder. --slabsides

------------------
If they take our guns, I intend to let my hair grow long and acquire the jawbone of an ass.

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by NJW:
The bore diameter is also different between the two. The .22LR has a .223" diameter while the Mag has a .224" diameter. This means that the LR bullet is undersized for the bore and accuracy will suffer.

NJW in AZ
[/quote]

Of interest is that accuracy of my Ruger Single Six is pretty good with either the .22LR or .22Mag cylinder, so that .001 can't make that much difference.
smile.gif

Back