22LR - Opinions on See Thru Scope Mounts….

Rich_357

I will be picking up a little Marlin Model 60 and I plan on mounting a scope on it (most likely a 3-9X40). I have read the good and the bad about see through mounts. Torque and recoil shouldn’t be a problem on a .22lr. Given the Model 60, could one get away, under 20 yards, without using see through mounts or would there be a definite advantage to having them?

Thanks in advance. :cool:

For a .22 I recommend a scope specifically made for a .22. I definitely would not use see-through scope mounts on a .22. See-through mounts may be appropriate for some center-fire rifles with iron sights used for hunting at relatively short ranges, but is my opinion that is probably the only use for see-through mounts.

I'd also recommend a 22 scope , 3x9 seems very high mag for a 22. I have a Mauser made in the '30s .I wanted a scope but without any mods to the rifle Couldn't find anything after a long search What I finally found was Originally used a 'see through' !! .Shocking to Mauser experts !:rolleyes:

I have my CZ452 trainer set up with high see-through mounts and a Nikon P22 scope. I would not set it up that way again if I had the choice. It sets the scope too high to be optimum, although I'm used to it now. In 3 years since then, I haven't ever used the iron sights through the scope mounts for anything other than novelty. Maybe if I hunted small game I would find it useful, but the iron sights look pretty crowded through the mounts and don't focus easily. Maybe I would try to find a 1-4X or a 2-7X scope instead if close range quick shots were a concern.

I have a Remington with see through rings and it works pretty good but the rings seam a lot lower than normal. I bought a pair of Leupold 22 see through rings and they seem way to high.

As others have said I haven't use the see throughs much on the 22 and my other 22's I don't miss being able to use iron sights.

But If I go hunting I take the remington over the other 22's.

My opinion is to make up your mind whether you want to use sights or a scope. If you want a scope, get a lower X than you think you need and learn to mount the rifle so your eye aligns with the scope. If you're "head bobbing" trying to find the center of the scope, you need to make adjustments(or practice mounting) until that is no longer a problem.
I have 3X Ruger 10-22's that I use for hunting and general recreational shooting. Two have 2.5X fixed and one has a 1.5-5X variable scope. I use these in all conditions (daylight, dark, bright sun, or flashlight) and find them easier to shoot accurately under any condition than open sights.

See thru mounts should be illegal. They make it harder to use either the irons or a scope. Any decent 3-9X40 scope would be near perfect. There is a reason most big game rifles no longer come with irons. Todays scopes are just as reliable and do everything better. No reason to worry about back up irons. I've had more iron sights fail to work over the last 40+ years than scopes. Just buy a decent scope and forget about the irons.

Alright, I'm going NON see through and a 1-4X scope. Any recommendations on mounts and scope?

Edit: I'm not looking to spend a lot but I don't want to waste money on crap. ;)

I'm one who also despises "See-Thru" rings for all the reasons previously cited. As far as which scope/rings to mount on your "little Marlin Model 60", I am of the opinion that little rifles look and handle best with little scopes. I think a Nikon "Prostaff" 4x scope (with a 50 yard Parallax) would be a good fit for your nice, little rifle.

Last edited:
The quality of scope optics varies directly with price. The prices for .22 scopes are generally not very high but I would recommend buying the best you can afford. I would be reluctant to buy a scope costing less than $150.

I have an older Marlin 60 in memory of the first and only firearm that my father gave me,(only because my mother saw my interest and hounded him to)!
It has a period correct Marlin branded 4x15 optic on it in a Weaver tip off style base attached to the 3/8 dovetail on top of the receiver.

Pretty cheesy optic, but it works on the rifle and I tend to appreciate period correct optics on things with optics on them. I've spent a lot of time and money seeking out and securing some that I own through the years.

Saying that I think that maybe when the see through mounts emerged on the scene, they may've been somewhat of a necessity based on the quality of the typically affordable optics of the time!

I have no idea why they still seem so prevalent today.

A problem with centerfire scopes on .22 rifles is that of parallax. Most centerfire scopes are set for 100 yards and beyond. Most .22 rimfires are used for ranges well below 100 yards. A consistent sight picture becomes difficult.

See-through mounts tend to make it difficult to have a proper cheek weld.

Mount a rifle to the shoulder with eyes closed, getting a good cheek weld. When the eyes are opened, the view should be directly through the center of the sights with no head movement.

I put see thru mounts on one 22 rifle. They were so out of alignment that I had to use almost all the windage on the scope to get on target. They were removed real quick.

If you go with a scope my favorite 22 scopes are both made by Nikon. The Pro Staff 4 power is set for a 50 yard paralax and the 2x7 has a 75 yard paralax setting. I have both scopes and am satisfied with the sight picture and the quality.

They are also good choices for pistol caliber rifles like a 357 or 44 mag.

A straight 2.5 scope is pretty tough to beat on a 22. My sons MP15-22 has a Tasco 2.5x that was made for a muzzle loader or shotgun (ebay $30.00). BSA and others also have scopes like this also.

Back