22LR on coyotes?

i have a semi auto 22LR and am a pretty good shot with it and have it scoped. I have talked to people that said they take coyotes with 22 magnum and 22 LR and i belive this would work as long as u dont try to shoot over 100 yards-around 50-if u think its unacceptable do u have a rifle i can buy off u?

I grew up in the ranching sandhills of western Nebraska in the 1930s when coyotes were really actively hunted. I've seen a lot of coyotes shot with .22 LR guns and not many killed outright. I feel strongly that if an animal is hunted, it is entitled to a humane death; meaning a well placed shot with a cartridge adequate to the job and I don't think a .22 rimfire is that cartridge. I'm sure many of those I saw shot did die an agonizingly slow death over several days. Shoot rabbits and squirrels with .22 rimfire but get at least .22 Hornet or, even better a .223 or 22-250 for the larger coyotes, please.
:)

joe
i'll sell ya a custom-built 22-250 for $425
wacks them critters out there around 400 yards
message me for more info

ya.. thats the main concern of mine-a quick death-but also i dont think i can afford a 400$ gun :)-i was looking at more of a 243 NEF because thier inexpensive and shoot good.-thier single shot but u dont need to go through ur ammo as quick that way ;)

You could use a .22WMR, I am going to be getting one and I am going to hunt yotes down, I just need to find some decent mounts and a variable scope, like a 2.75-6x32-42mm obejective lenses. Also need to find a good way to light them up with out scaring them away, can they see spot lights?

Spotlights......

.......you don't need a special one or one with a red, green or blue lens. The MAIN thing is to keep the beam moving and the bright part pointed at a 45 degree angle up in the sky. This sounds crazy to a novice but take my word for it, the peripheral part of the beam will shine their eyes back at you like they was flashlights. If you hunt alone, you'll want a gun-mounted light to switch to. If you are hunting with someone, you waggle the light over the eyes til the shooter sees 'em, then the lightman drops the main beam on the yote and the shooter squeezes his trigger.
......simple as that.

Joseph, just a crazy thought...

If you want to shoot 'yotes with something larger than a .22 (which I highly recommend), but you don't want to spend much, consider getting a surplus rifle. You can get a decent Mosin-Nagent for about $100. That's $60 for the rifle, $20 for an ffl fee and $20 for shipping. Ammo is also pretty cheap. Even without a scope, you should be good for a 50-yard shot, or maybe even $100 if you get to know the rifle well.

Other $100 options include Enfields and Mausers.

I suppose it depends on how far away they are, but at the farm my coyote gun is a .22 LR. When they come out into the pastures I get in about 30-40 yards away -- put one through the skull, haven't seen any get up yet.

Got bored and blasted one with a 30-06 once, turned it inside out.

I suppose what I'm saying is if you really can get close enough, the .22 will do the job. If you're any further away, go for one of the big high speed 20 calibers. Good excuse to buy a new gun, anyway. ;)

PS. Anyone ever seen a coyote gored by a cow? Musta thrown it 15 feet. Show me a dairy cow that can do that.. :cool:

ok thanks

i might get an SKS for my coyote dilema ;) lol-well i think that will do the trick but also a great deer rifle-me and my uncle are gonna go hunting with our sks's if i get this 1-180 dollars and in pretty good condition-200 for another better won-maybe a bit over kill but definitly a dead coyote lol.

Joseph, due to recent experiance, you may want to re-look that Mosin Nagant. Friend just bought one for $75 and the trigger is miles ahead of the SKS. Minute of pop can accuracy at 75 yards - looks like a best buy to me..

Giz

Back