.22LR Magnum recoil

gaseousclay

can anyone tell me how much more recoil there is for a .22LR magnum? a .22 has virtually no recoil....so where does the .22 magnum stand up?

.22 LR v .22 Magnum. If you have ear muffs on it's hard tell when the .22 LR goes off. When the Magnum gos off you "might" be able to tell. Like some swatted you on the shoulder with a feather. :D

Last edited:
All guns recoil, even a 22LR. A 22 WMR (22 magnum) recoils just slightly more. Barely noticeable, but they recoil.

From http://www.chuckhawks.com/recoil_table.htm

.22LR .2 ft lb of recoil from a 4 lb rifle.
.22Magnum .4 ft lb of recoil from a 6.75 rifle.
.22 Hornet 1.3 ft lb of recoil from a 7.5 lb rifle.

The heavier a rifle is, the less it kicks. If a .22 LR kicks with .2 ft lb in a 4 lb rifle, you can expect .1 ft lb of recoil in a 8 lb rifle. Conversely, a .22 LR can be expected to deliver 1.7 ft lb of recoil from a 7.5 ounce derringer pistol.

Unless you are contemplating owning one of those super light derringers, I wouldn't worry about a .22Magnum's recoil.

I have several .22 LRs, but only one .22 WMR (.22 Magnum). Basically, the .22 magnum has twice the velocity and energy of the .22 LR HV, but cost of ammo, especally the CCI V-Max rounds cost about $13 a box, so I don't plink with that caliber.

Recoil is about twice that of the .22 LR, but practically unnoticeable after a few shots. My CZ 455 bolt-action is lighter than most of my .22 LRs and I noticed a difference in both noise and recoil at first, but after a few shots, it's an expected difference and don't even think about it.

It's used for pest control within 125 yards and it does a better job at that than the .22 LR and noise isn't a whole lot more (from a rifle). We have houses on three sides within 400 feet, so don't like to shoot varmints with louder rifles here. It's a great rifle/caliber to carry when on a walk-about down back when I can expect to encounter coyotes, large porkys, skunks, woodchucks and crows within 100 yards. I can also carry at least a hundred rounds of ammo in a plastic Zip-Lock bag in my pocket, should I want to plink a bit.

I have two 5-round mags and a 10. That's a fair amount of firepower for larger varmints like coyotes, should extra shots be needed to anchor a wounded one.

my 12 year old son shoot a 22 magnum revolver and rifle and say it's boring to shoot with... nothing to be shy of...

The 22 Mag has always been a favorite with me. It is a bit louder, more potent, and there is a slight to moderate increase in felt recoil. Just enough to tell you it is a magnum compared to the regular LR. It's a nice round and I would never be without a hangun or rifle chambered for it.
My favorite 22Mag rifle is the CZ LUX.

I suppose that if you concentrated on the recoil, you might feel a tiny bit if difference, but you would have to really concentrate on it.

Unless you are contemplating owning one of those super light derringers, I wouldn't worry about a .22Magnum's recoil.

Being the owner of one of those super light .22 Magnums pocket pistols (6.4 oz.), I can say that those have little recoil too.

There's enough recoil in 14-pound .22 long rifle target rifles as the bullet goes down the barrel that unless one's held exactly the same way and very still for each shot until the bullet's left the muzzle, someone shooting one won't make it onto the US Olympic Team.

And .22 short international rapid fire pistols often have vertical gas vents to minimize the upward muzzle swing caused by recoil while the bullet's going down the barrel. 'Tis important when you're putting 5 shots downrange in 4 seconds at the small 10-ring on each of 5 targets 25 meters away.

Ear Protection

Ear protections lessens perceived felt recoil.

Meaning, between a .22 lr and .22 mag, one is most likely to not perceive any difference in recoil, when using ear protection.

Without ear protection, one may perceive a tad more recoil with the .22 mag.

Personally, to me, and I admit being guilty of not using ear protection with a .17HMR, the noise is less and perceived recoil is less with a .17HMR than a .22 mag.

[Guilty of running out and taking care of property duty business with a .17HMR, without ear protection] *hangs head*

Steve

Back