22lr conversion for AR

Scratch

Does the 1-12 twist work better then the 1-9 using the standard AR barrel?
My smith has an AR barrel laying around that he say he can sleeve with a .22lr. What do you guys think of this?
The other option is getting a true dedicated .22lr upper and barrel not just one that has been sleeved.
What is the barrel I.D. for a 22lr vs the standard .223?
Thanks
Scratch

Scratch, the 1-12 twist will stablize the lighter bullet better although I would really prefer a 14 or 16 in a 22lr. The .001" difference in diameter won't really matter. It really depends on what you want vice the cost. The lined barrel may or may not be as accurate as the true .22lr bbl but it will probably cost much less. George

I have a Ciener conversion for my 16", 1-9" twist Colt, and it works well but the accuracy really sucks. I'll like to hear more comments regarding different barrel twists.

I use an SP1 upper that's 1-12" Works OK with standard velocity ammo. I'm going to a dedicated upper this winter with a Douglas bbl.

Never checked the twist on my HK rimfire conversion. It's got a slide in barrel liner.

[This message has been edited by Nukem (edited June 30, 2000).]

The 1-9 twist barrels should be just the ticket when using SSI 60 grain ammo. That long heavy bullet needs a faster twist than 1-16 to get decent accuracy.

------------------

Back