.22LR Bulged Barrel???

Big Dog

Guys I seems to have developed a problem, maybe even just today. Was at the range this morning with my son where we had a great time shooting my .22lr, .222 and 6.5x55. We came home and I started the task of cleaning. I noted as the put the jab down the .22lr barrel there seen to be a free section, like as if you had exited the barrel but then it would tigthen again like the rest of the barrel, it was a 1 1/2 section. I check the outside of the barrel and oh no! there is a bulge in it.

The rifle is Ruger bolt action I think is 77/22 or something like that in stainless.

The only think I am aware of that could do that is to fire a shot without cleaning out any previous oil.

What do you think, is there other reasons?????????

Thanks BD

Last edited:
It would have to have been a lot of oil. A squib that didn't exit the bore or some other solid obstruction like a dirt dauber nest would do it.

My guess would be there was a squib load, and a bullet got stuck in the bore. Then a follow up shot made the bulge. If it shoots fine, keep going. If accuracy has dropped, time for a new barrel.

I had a squib in a .22LR semi auto handgun that had enough power to cycle the action, but the bullet stopped in the bore. A follow up shot smeared lead in the bore so bad you could no longer see the rifling. After cleaning all the lead out, it shoots fine. No bulge, I got lucky.

Is it the screw in model or the removable barrel model like the 10/22 with the locking block? If its the removable model then I would just get a new barrel and be done with it. If not then I would send it back to Ruger and let them check it out.

I have a nice old Springfield 22 that has a section near the muzzle that is larger inside diameter than the rest of the bore. The rifle is plenty accurate for hunting/plinking. I never thought a 22lr had enough energy to bulge the barrel. I have always thought the Springfield Company had been sloppy when boring the barrel.

The old Ringed Barrel trick !!

It's really hard to diagnose what obstruction you had in your barrel. The first thing I would suspect, is the ammop and would ask if you were shooting bulk ammo. I have had more that my share of squibs and even shell casings going down the barrel. Mostly if not all, because of bulk ammo. ... :(

Good time to mention that when checking a rifle, you look down the outside as well as the bore of the barrel. Once in the heat of buying, I bought one that was ringed. Dealer would not take it back and had to eat it. Later found out that it was still a tack driver and can live with it. .... ;)
Can you see the ring from the outside and where is it's location. Not only can you see rings from the ourside but inside as well and as you noted, feel it !! ;)

As mentioned, the barrels on the 77/22's, are easily replaced ..... ;)

Be Safe !!!

Last edited:
Clean the bore thoroughly.
Then use a good light source to inspect the bore and the outside of the barrel.
If the ringed/bulged section is concentric at both ends (even all the way around), it should be safe to shoot.
If it is not concentric, you'll need to replace the barrel.

If you don't feel comfortable inspecting it yourself, or getting advice on the internet (;)), take it to a gunsmith.

I have an old Remington 12 pump 22 that was my father in laws. Noticed it had a slight barrel bulge. He said it was due to him shooting a frog underwater back in the day :) Took it out and shot it. Will shoot into one hole at 25 yards and about an inch at 50. Go figure...

Bulge in barrel

Needless to say, something was in the barrel that should not have been. I am incined to agree with mike 38. If the barrel is free of debris shoot a sub sonic from it and take it from there!:) Cliff

Guys thinks for the comments, very helpful. To reply to a couple of you. No you can't really see the bulge for the outside but you can feel it. It is just about 12" form the breach, so shortening is out. My son said when he looks into the bore he can see a greyness at that point. I looked and could not, however, it may have been a shadow he say as I thought I did see a difference one of the time I looked.

I am going to try it again for accuracy. I was planning to sell this gun but I wouldn'g do that as I would not like to buy a gun and find that problem. So I am going to price a new barrle. It is a 77/22 Stainless All weather. Its the first powder rifle I ever owned and it own me nothing. I will update you on what the outcome is.

Thanks again. :)

You have a good plan

The light has to be just right for you to see the bulge from the outside and easier to see on blued barrels. No matter as you can feel it and know exactly where it's at. I would still expect to shoot just as good as it did, before the bulge and the location is working in your favor... ... ;)

When you look down the bore, you should see a dark ring, against a shiney bore, that cannot be removed and again, your patched rod will also indicate it's location. Credit to you on correcting this before you sell or at least make the buyer aware of it's conditions and performance. I see not safety issues here .... ;)

I have been bit, more than once and a fast learner. ..... :D

Be Safe !!!

As long as you disclose the bulged barrel, selling it as is won't be an issue. I would consider buying a rifle with a ringed barrel if the price was right. If it didn't shoot well after I bought it it would be a project gun. I'd have to get a good deal on the rifle though.

Stu

I picked up a High Standard pistol with a ring inside the barrel, not very far down. Doesn't seem to be bulged outside at all.

The guy told me about it up front and said it was still accurate. He was right... A real tack driver.

I have a M-293 Winchester .22 that is my beater rifle. A couple years ago while cleaning it, I discovered a ringed section about 2" back from the muzzle that I had never noticed before. Since I don't clean rimfire barrels very often I can't say how long it had been there.

I suspect that at some point while shooting Colibris or even .22 shorts through it one squibed and I followed up later with a live round that caused the ring. Looking and feeling along the outside of the barrel does not reveal any discrepancies nor has accuracy been affected.

I suggest that if you shoot less than full power .22 rounds such as Colibris or CB loads that you run a rod down the barrel before putting it away or shooting full powers loads.

Last edited:
Just FYI...
Some CB rounds will not have enough power to make it out of a long rifle barrel. I guess that if you have slightly "tight" bore it can happen too. I have a 24" match barrel on one of my target 22lr bolt gun and I discovered that occasionally a CCI CB round will not make it out the barrel.

Back