22A?

bobo

Was at the local gunshow TOD, when I spied
an S&W 22A with a heavey bbl and a huge wood
grip that fits my hand. Sights looked good, trigger was so-so. Anyone have any experience
with this gun? Price was $259.00 before haggle.

Although my 22A has never failed me, it has shown ware very rapidly. The finish is not all that great and the hardness of the materials is poor. After about 8,000 rounds, the slides on the receiver are rippling and the guide plunger is penetrating into the receiver. The slide paint is flaking and the slide has also mushroomed the barrel. The gun also fails to fire some ammunitions.

It is a shame, fun gun to shoot and is very inexpensive. But, in the end, I guess, you get what you pay for.

Robert

Hi Bobo
I have a 22a and shoot it a lot. As noted above, the finish sucks, the recoil buffer looks like its made out of a plastic milk jug, and I don't know how long it will hold up. I plan on making S&W stand behind the lifetime warranty. When it stops shooting, back it goes. I have a red dot on the one I have and it will make ragged holes at 50'. It does as well as the mod 41s I shoot against at the range. The trigger is pretty good, and it is just as dependable as my Volquartsen MKII, and my Buckmark. If your looking for something that will stay pretty, and may be someday will be a classic, you might want to look at something else.

------------------
Good shootin to ya
Plateshooter

Well Bobo, I`ll tell ya the same story as the other posters. Mine has been bak to S&W twice and a couple more thousand rounds it`ll probably be back again. Sight bridge hook broke, firing pin broke, slide is worn, guide rod is eating into the receiver. Perhaps the stainless version is better.

Aluminun is ok for beer cans, but guns? I don`t think so. I like the gun, and it`s fun to shoot, but my Ruger KMK-512 is better.

As everybody else is saying, great shooter,but not built for the long run. I have a 22s, the stainless version of the 22a, and it does seem to be holding up a bit better. It still shows some wear, but not quite as much. I only have about 1000 rounds through mine, and don't shoot it that often. If that will do for you, the 22s is a great shooter, and is more accurate than my other 22's. For tough Ruger is the way to go. For pure pleasure, Browning Buckmarks are the way to go. All are more accurate than they deserve to be at the prices they sell for.

------------------
CCW for Ohio action site.
http://www.ofcc.net
Do what you C.A.N.

http://thematrix.acmecity.com/digital/237/cansite/can.html

If you want a revolver, look no further than S&W. But, if you want a .22 pistol, you gotta go with the Ruger. Parts are, and will be, available forever for the Ruger .22 Auto. S&W has introduced and discontinued many, many .22 pistols. Some you can't get parts for anymore, or if you can they are expensive.
The price is about the same for the S&W 22A and a Ruger, so even though I love S&W (for the revo's) when the time comes for a .22 pistol I'm buying a Ruger.
:D -Kframe

Sounds like good advice...I think the Ruger
is a better gun but it doesn't fit my hand.
I might hold out for a used model 41.
Thanks

Back