.224 deer bullet selection

skizzums

so I now this has been beat to death if ar15 is appropriate for deer, and I am not convinced either way. regardless, I want to know the end all, be all deer bullet for the .223. I will be handloading and most likely NOT taking a deer with the .223, I will only decide to do so if I can't find one under 75yrds for my lever action. so what is it, whats your choices and why

I had assumed the win powerpoint would be a good choice, but I am open to anything as I have never hunted before period.

I have a ton of OTM 75-77gr loaded hot for high-power, but I think that would not be the best choice, maybe it is, I dunno. so help me out, whats the best of the best? bonded? monolithic, heavy-weight?

this is theorhetical, so lets not debate the .223 on deer, just if you absolutely had to, what bullet would you choose?

I am doing a big order from grafs tonight and want to get at least 100 bullets to play with that could possibly take a deer if no other option available.

thanks, I will take anybody's opinion

Don't mess with ballistic tips for hunting, does Nosler list it as a hunting bullet or varmint? There are many great hunting bullets for the .224 calibers why mess with varmint bullets? If you're going with Nosler use the tried and true Partition or the new Bonded Performance bullets.

My choice of bullet for deer hunting with the .223 Remington is the 55 grain TSX. My daughter has taken a few white tail deer with this bullet since she was nine. Even though I don't doubt you can kill deer with a 60 grain NBT, why take a chance when you have better options?

not a varmint bullet at 60gr, but I am open to ALL suggestions, and would like to know the reasons why behind the choices. please note, the deer are very wimpy around here. I would guess 150-175 pds.

the nosler is a spritzer with a tip. not a varmagddon or anything

I stand corrected, I can admit when I was absolutely wrong. I always thought varmint buetts were the 40-50 grain bullets. I see now that this is a bad choice, but that's why I am here

I have heard that the 60gr hornaday SP is a great hunting bullet, but I will also look into the partitions you suggested, thanks

A 223 is one of the few calibers where I'd say use a Barnes copper bullet.
Any lead bullet is less likely to penetrate, and you'll want a blood trail

okay, ill check those out if thy are in stock. I already have a big order in my grafs cart, so I need to pick something from there to keep the free shipping

Pretty much any premium bullet should work well.

If it were me, I would go for the 50-55 grain weight class of Barnes TSXs.

But, I will admit....
Last week, I didn't feel like having a rifle out while I was scouting some new territory for deer, where any shot that I got would have likely been 50-75 feet. ...So I had my 7.5" AR pistol. It was loaded with 20 rounds of factory Remington 62 gr "HyperSonic" ammo (62 gr Core-Lokt Ultra-Bonded).

Even for Mule Deer, I did not feel handicapped. It was not ideal, but I was content with the option.

My picks are 60 grain Nosler Partition (I know it works), Barnes TSX 55-62 grain, no question in my mind what would happen if you shoot into a deers vitals. The 60 grain or heavier bonded bullets should work just fine as well provided your rifle likes them.

"...Any lead bullet is less likely to penetrate..." One would assume you mean a lead cored bullet. Isn't true anyway.
I'd be thinking GameKing. Sierra makes a 65 grain bullet that would do nicely. Needs the right rifling twist though.

Speer 70 gr

Speer makes a 70gr in .224 which we have used to take several first deer one shot kills all not all guns will give very good accuracy with it but for a very low recoil rifle when the range is not too far and it's a young shooter on their first deer it delivers the venison.
bb

I admit that I have no experience with deer hunting with the .22s (it's illegal where I live and I think that's a good thing)...2 things seem to make sense in my head (whatever that's worth)...1) a super duper tough expanding mono metal bullet like barnes tsx, hornady gmx, nosler etip(if the make em that small), gs custom hv, etc... Driven right though the shoulder, as much bone as possible, because I find myself fearing that even if they expand those little guys won't leave much of a wound channel if no bone is encountered. 2) a conventional cup and core bullet (not a varmint bullet), 60+ grains used for classic Double lung shots (avoiding bone in this case). I've read before about the ill advised nature of compensating for an underpowered cartridge by using a super tough bullet and then, based on the belief that its too weak for any other shot, double lunging an animal to leave a super small wound that allows the poor creature to survive a while and cover some serious distance.

Back