.223 TulAmmo... steel jacket?

idek

I bought some .223 TulAmmo for the first time. Pictures online show copper colored bullets, and the descriptions mention "bimetal"--basically a steel jacket with a thin layer of copper over it.

But what I got has bullets that are not copper colored. They look more nickel colored. Does anyone have any experience with these, and could you explain why they are different than everything I see online?

I'd just like to know a little more about the ammo before I put it through my gun.

Think I found my answer...

http://www.cheaperthandirt.com/product/AMM-2913-100?td_source=fbt

The description reads, "TulAmmo is converting from a Bimetal Jacketed projectile to a Zinc Coated projectile. Zinc coating is a chemical method of surface treatment (galvanizing) which gives the bullet jacket a more uniform and consistent protective layer than that of machine-stamped bimetal bullet jackets. Thanks to this, cartridges with zinc-coated bullets provide up to 10-15% better shooting accuracy than cartridges with bimetal bullets."

And yes, a magnet sticks to them.

Any metallurgists out there who can weigh in on whether this zinc stuff is a good idea?

Let us know how your Ruskie steel case works for you, i like many others, are so against steel case ammo in AR's ( Assumption is an AR because of the caliber ammo listed) that there is no objectivity left and so I would leave you with "ya deserve what you get with that stuff". Now if that does not spark the brass vs steel issue I don't know what will. Sometimes forums need a little fun too.

O4L said:
Care to 'splain why steel cased is bad for my AR?

These guys performed a pretty academic case study on the performance of steel-cased ammo vs brass. It's a good read if you haven't already flipped through it.

http://www.luckygunner.com/labs/brass-vs-steel-cased-ammo/

idek said:
But what I got has bullets that are not copper colored...

I recently saw something called "Golden Bear" on one of the big ammo retailer websites. It's brass-coated steel or some such thing. I wonder whether it outperforms other steel ammo in any way.

From my understanding, Zinc is relatively cheap, corrosion resistant, and soft enough to be kind on the rifling of the gun it's shot out of.

I have some stuff I picked up at Academy that's zinc plated steel cases, but I don't have any where the bullet itself is coated. I have seen nickel plated .45 ACP ammo before that claimed to increase the "lubricity" of the round and therefore increase the muzzle velocity.

Back