223 seating confusion...

bjm42

Loading HDY 55gr V-MAX in Savage Axis ll. Using HDY OAL gage, bullet touches rifling @ 1.956. Minus .016 for "jump" = 1.940. This makes COL 2.336, which is much higher than COL specified in all my manuals. Cartridges fit magazine & cycle thru action, with no sign of jamming into rifling.
Just like to make sure I'm okay to seat by ogive, NOT base to tip. Appreciate advice.

COL specs in load data is for reference only in the barrel used to get that data. Use whatever works good in your rifle.

Last edited:
Bjm42,

Figure you need to be closer to 0.030" off the lands for normal pressure. As you get closer, pressure starts to increases until you make contact with the lands, at which point pressure is increased by about 20%. So, in your load workup, you want to allow for that. I'm don't know how you arrived at 0.016" jump if you haven't loaded this bullet in this gun before. Every gun and bullet combination seems to have a preferred number.

An illustration: In the 1995 Precision Shooting Reloading Guide, one of the authors describes load for a 220 Swift in a 40X gun set up for benchrest match shooting. He seated all bullets 0.020" off the lands, as the general belief among BR competitors at the time held that this was best. He could not get the gun to average better than five-shot groups of half an inch at 100 yards. Not good enough for BR competition. Then one day when switching bullets to one that was longer, he accidentally turned the adjustment on his seating die the wrong way and loaded 20 rounds before he noticed they were seated 0.050" off the lands instead of 0.020". He considered pulling and reseating the bullets but decided just to shoot them for practice. To his amazement, the four 5-shot groups from these long-jump loads gave him two 1/4" groups and two true bugholes in the ones (between 0.1" and 0.19" CTC).

The bottom line is, don't believe in anybody's jump prescription for your gun and loads. You will have to find what your gun likes best for yourself. Read this article for a method. It is geared to VLD shapes. Your V-max has a shorter ogive and will probably want shorter increments. I would try increments of 0.020" with that bullet design to see what you come up with.

Note that the COL's in the manuals are what they used with the test barrel they had, arriving at the powder charges shown.

Unclenick said:
Note that the COL's in the manuals are what they used with the test barrel they had, arriving at the powder charges shown.
Also, their test barrels are probably made very close to the SAAMI spec for that particular cartridge's chamber dimensions. Because, let's face it, ammo makers and component makers and vendors aren't selling ammo and components for your firearm, they are selling ammo and components that they want to work in every firearm chambered for that cartridge.

Consider that 90% of .223/5.56x45 shooters are using ARs that have limited length magazines that rarely allow more than 2.270 to 2.275 O.A.L.

With shorter bullets like 55 grs, that usually isn't a problem, but seating a 77 grain Sierra SMK and especially a Sierra TMK with an additional 0.070 tip makes maintaining a reasonable O.A.L. for a bolt rifle a problem if you try to live with the limits of AR magazines.

I regularly load my heavy bullets out past 2.300 O.A.L. for my bolt rifles and the Savage bolt action mags have plenty of length to allow that.
With lighter, and shorter bullets, I tend to keep an eye on how much bullet body remains in the neck so I don't lose neck tension by seating the light bullets out too far. You might check that with the 55 gr V-Max bullets to be sure there is enough bullet body still in the neck. Remember a boat tail bullet has about 0.1 to 0.2 of the butt not touching the brass.

My suggestion for you, similar to UncleNick's, is not to just accept a specific jump for all rifles and all bullets. I have found that I sometimes was surprised when a particular bullet performed better seated differently. Now I experiment a bit with jump when I first load with a different bullet or find where it performs best.

Last edited:
Thanks very much for clearing my head . I will adjust accordingly & find best COL.
This may take considerable time; @ the bench & at the range.

Rimfire hit on it.

The 2.250" COAL is to ensure it fits in an AR magazine.

My wifes Savage 110 with 69gr MatchKings is longer than SAAMI length.
Along with my 250 Savage, 257 Roberts, 284 Win, (2) 280 Rems, 7mm Rem Mag.

Back