.223 rim damage fix

totalloser

Problem:

Rough extractor damage from MG OFB- ding on the rim increasing OD. Which interferes with automatic insertion into shell plate.

My solution:

Machine and ream a SS sizing die at .374" to bring rim back to commercial standard after spring back. Works great. Took two hours+ including setup.

Then realized that .375win is .376" and Lee carries a $25 steel bullet sizer which I'm pretty sure would have worked approximately as well. :P

Just a fyi for the archives.

If it is occasional, why not dress with a file. I used to dress with a file quick, but later determined those cases were trash for other related reasons.

Same exact way you size a bullet. Pushed through from the base- but obviously with a touch of lube. .223 just happened to match a size- both off-the shelf, and reamers I had on hand. Quick glance says 7.62x39 doesn't match an off-the shelf die at the theoretical .447" and it's sort of an in between size on drills/reamers. Even in metric and letter drills.

The reason I say "theoretical" is that most manufacturers are slightly below the drawing spec- .223 puts spec at .378" but most my cases are about .375" So a judgement call would be required. Very casual observance of spring back is .001 to .002" depending on how much sizing.

A little creativity and polishing could get you by without the reamers if you have a lathe or access to one.

Back