.223 Rem. or .308Win.?

ED CHAVEZ

Which is better? Which has longer range in yards? What is the range each will put-out? Which has faster bullet-drop? Add anything else. Thanks.

<<<<<<<<<<<<<i don't have anything technical to say, but my username and sig. say it all :D

------------------
.308 WIN: The ONLY cartridge you will EVER need!
.45/70 is neat too!!

Well, each caliber has its own merits and limitations. Let's review:

.223 - Also known as 5.56x45. This round can use bullet weights typically in the range of 40 grains to 69 grains. The 55 and 62 grain loadings are the most popular. The 55-grain loading is typically effective to 300-400m. Heavier loadings in the 62+ grain loadings can be effective out to 600m. For most practical applications, 400m is the maximum useful range.

This round at short ranges tends to fragment and break inside soft targets. This produces a terrifying wound channel and reduces overpenetration. Hollow and soft point bullets will typically expand and/or fragment to the extreme. Penetration can be iffy against hard targets and on frontal head shots. Against human targets and small game, this round is very effective.

.308 - Also known as 7.62 NATO. This round uses bulet weights typically in the 147 to 200-grain class. The 168 grain match loads are very popular, as are the 147 grain FMJ and 180-grain match millitary loads, respectively. Typicall effective range is 600m for most loads, although some rounds can be effective to over 1000m.

This is the premier intermediate-range precision round and is available in a staggering array of loadings from small game to ultra-heavy match loads. Penetration in humans is great, which can be a concern in some situations. Penetration of hard targets is very good, so the round can pound its way through light armour, trees, and moderate cover. This is the US Military's preferred sniper round (although there are numerous .50 caliber and .300 Winchester Mag rifles in service).

As to which is better, the answer is "Better at what?" For long-range precision shooting against game, persons, and targets under light cover, the .308 reigns supreme, but at a price. The round is heavier, recoils more, and may overpenetrate. The .223 is an excellent close-range round which is also effective on small game and persons out to 400m.

My $0.02 (this is the strictly opinion part):
For short-range defense and varmint work to 300m - .223. For ranges over 300m and for game larger than coyote, .308.

Hope this helps!

load up on 720 rounds of .223
go for a walk
come home
load up on 720 rounds of .308
go for a walk
have someone come get you
;)

every cartridge has a purpose
define the usage parameters

.308 goes bang faster & heavier than .223

if you are looking at AR's
an AR10 in .308 is about twice the cost of an AR15 in .223

dZ

------------------
"walk softly and carry a big stick, one that goes bang in .308 is fine"

Thanks everyone for the info, .308Win it is then. dz, I cannot own a rifle like that (AR-10) in a communist country (California :D ;) ). I am thinking more of a bolt-action rifle. Like the .308 Savage "SCOUT" ($500). I do not know I just like the rifle. I know everyone tells me go with the Remington bolt-action, but gosh-darnet I like the "SCOUT" rifle. I believe I'll go buy it tomorrow and wait the agonizing wait here in freaking California (10-days +). Anyways, I'll keep my other babies warm at the time of the wait :D. Thanks again. Later.

Ed,

Before you buy that Savage, find out if the trigger is adjustable, because it is definitely going to come from the factory with more pull on it than you'll want.

I have the Savage 10FP (police tactical, heavy barrel), and did not ask that question beforehand. Now I have a sweet rifle that has just over 5 pounds of pull on the trigger where I'd much rather have a 3-3.5 pull. And the trigger isn't adjustable either. Looking for a drop-in right now so I CAN adjust it downward a little.

Oh, my rifle is chambered for .308 Win. Is there anything better? :))

If you buy the Savage, you'll hate the trigger. There are a couple of aftermarket triggers available. If you go with the Rem. you'll find that it's completely adjustable and you probably won't need an aftermarket trigger. However, if you just "like" the looks of the Savage, anything I've said is just moot.

Back