223 Rem 55 gr.Trophy Bonded Federal ammmo. Is this what I think it is for?

Rusty S

Haven't had a chance for a long time to look around a well stocked gunshop at leisure. Looking for the Federal 40 grain Blitz ammo in 223 I'd heard was so effective as antipersonnel ammo. Didn't find it, but I did find boxes of Federal 55 grain Trophy Bonded ammo at $19.95 a box of 20.

Is this for what I think it is for or am I jumping to conclusions. I always thought that the Trophy Bonded bullets were for game, pure and simple.

In Nevada, though, I don't think 22 centerfires are legal to hunt game with. Maybe the ammo is for protection or police situations, or maybe for coyote.

Would this make a 223 marginally adequate for carefully placed shots on game ( deer and black bear ) in emergency situations? I've got a Colt Lightweight sporter and a CZ 527 Mannlicher stocked 223 with a 4 power scope.

So what do you guys think this ammo makes a 223 good for in a exigent situation?

Personally, given a choice, I wouldn't use .223 on deer. In Colorado, it isn't a choice anyway (.24 / 6mm minimum).

My AR is for small game and kevlar-hided varmints.

A book I read mentioned that the Barnes bullets are more effective at penetrating automobiles and barracades. Sorry I can't remember the book.

Will

its legal in miss and ky to hunt deer with.i use some in miss last year and killed a nice doe with the stuff.i think it would be a good antipersonnell round also.

The main argument against a .223 for serious hunting is that a bad hit most likely means a lost, crippled, and suffering animal.

If a .223 is all you have, it's okay for the smaller whitetail, although I'd be real picky about my shots. Close range, neck or heart. I would never use a .223 on deer were I walking-hunting. And I won't allow one in my camp, here in mule deer country. Period.

In an emergency situation, it beats heck out of a loud scream or a .22 rimfire.

The trophy bonded oughta be a good coyote load, particularly if you're gonna try for one at longer range than the usual 50-150 yards.

FWIW, Art

FWIW one of my former bosses used a 25-35 just as you said, Art, and never lost a deer. Then they changed the state hunting laws and outlawed the old gun, so he bought a 270. Lost about 3 in a row shooting normally to use the reputed power of the modern gun. Gave up on that and started pretending the 270 was his old 25-35 and shooting that way and never lost another.

Me, I don't think normal 22 centerfire bullets have adequate sectional density for deer if you are going to hunt ethically and in the spirit of the hunt. Using it in exigency, to fill a an empty belly, that's different. Even then I think I'd take a Barnes X bullet instead.

I just want to make a comment on the "Trophy Bonded Bullet"

I have been shooting them for a few years now in sever al calibers. Their performance on game is nothing short of WOW.....

Though the 22 cal is light and I am staunchon the idea of humane kills, if the 22 cal perfors like its bigger brothers it could be used by a competent shooter out to 100+ with solid standing shot to heart or perhaps neck.....

The bigger brothers hold together so well it is amazing.

Just my opinion. I don'tthink I would deer hunt with one.

FYI...There is a 22 "roll your own" being kicked around in the pages of "Texas Trophy Hunters" that is designed to use the larger 22 cal bullets.

Huntschool
"single shot shooters only shoot once"

Rusty. I'd check the games laws in Nevada. If memory serves, the .22 centerfires were made legal for deer. This was around the mid 1970's, if I remember correctly.
I checked your profile, and I too, lived in rural Nevada (Winnemucca) for 10 years. (Wish I was still there too.) Anyway, the guy who owned the local movie house was tickled pink thast he could now use his .222 rem. for deer hunting. I haven't live in Nevada for the last 21 years, so there may have been a change in the regs.
Frankly, I don't even like the .243 for large deer, but that's just my personal opinion.
Paul B.

I chuckle when I read the posts that down play the use of a particular cartridge for taking deer. Hell, for some people a 375 would be terribly inadequate! It is your capability as a hunter marksman that determines the caliber you should use. This means a general amount of the public if the road signs are an indication should limit the themselves to shotguns.

I hunt with a professional stalker in England who since I started building his guns 11 years ago has killed over 300 years every year. That's 3300 dear and strict records have been kept for the government. I will add that he is a 5 time British National sporting rifle Champion . The vast majority of the kills are with 222 out to 200 yards. If he is hunting an area that ranges require longer ranges 200 to 300 he goes up the 243 and 270 out to 400 yards. In an area when the deer is red stag and the range is 400+he goes with the 300 WM. I have thumbed through his charts and they indicate rifle range by laser rangefinder ,ammo , impact point, Type kill, instant, or tracked with dog. His records show that approx. 3% had to be tracked. None lost. The shot placement was text book and you had to look closely to tell the difference. The point of all this is Know your capability! And never attempt to increase it for that one trophy shot. The next time he will be within your ability arc. The mark of a true hunter is when you can asses a cituation and if it is a questionable shot open the bolt and enjoy watching it through the scope knowing that next time it will be on your terms.

As for those other two legged critters, they have been closed season every where I have ever been. So I can't give advice on what bullet to use but will say that they are both the easiest to kill and the hardest to kill. There are a lot of men walking around today who took an 8MM through the chest 50 years ago

------------------
Gale McMillan

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Gale McMillan:
There are a lot of men walking around today who took an 8MM through the chest 50 years ago

[/quote]
7.7 or 6.5 Jap too.

------------------
Carlyle

As I recall, over the past couple years a friend has lost a mare and nearly lost a foal to an unknown ( to me )caliber. That's here in Hawthorne, but up in Fallon, a couple Navy guys used a 223 on a couple cattle. Then there was the multiple shooting of estray horses out of Reno that made the headlines. When I worked on the rez a decade ago I went loaded for Cessnas and Pipers ( 15 shot Model 81 Remington in 35 Remington ). I quit carrying in my vehicles years back, but now I'm reconsidering. Animals should be held in respect. Two legged varmints I'm coming around closer to Charlie Askins point of view.

Back