.223 recommendations

Hueco

I would like some recommedations on a good .223 rifle in the $300 range. Is there such a thing?? Let me know. Thanks.

Hueco

Your best bet would be a used Ruger Mini-14, I picked mine up for $325 and it's in perfect shape. A lot of people think this little rifle is suitable for use only as a boat anchor, but mine has been 100% reliable and is accurate enough for its intended purposes. No, it's not a tackdriver but if you want target-grade accuracy you'll be paying a lot more $$ for a rifle that will probably not be as reliable. Magazines are still fairly easy to come by, and since the gun is still in production, parts are no problem if you need them (you probably won't). Bottom line--don't knock the Mini-14 'til you've tried one. There really isn't anything to compare with it in this price range. Let us know what you end up buying--

Sic semper tyrannis

freedomlover

I just realized I was reading into your question--I assumed you were looking for a semi-auto. If you want a bolt-action, there are a lot of other choices, but I'm not qualified to make any recommendations.

Sic semper tyrannis

freedomlover

Gasp...autoloader! Haha Actually I am a bolt action guy. But I need to wait and see how much $$ I am really going to be able to spend here. But thanks for the posts! Take it easy.

Hueco

You can pick up a NIB Hew England Arms/Harrington Richardson single shot for about $200. They shoot as well or better than bolt actions. Spend the extra towards a scope or ammunition if you have a scope.

------------------
"Stop forest fires--ban matches."

Hueco,
My two choices. NEF Handi Rifle for $200 and the Remington 700 ADL Syn. for $329. Believe it or not but the NEF shoots better groups.

Don't forget the Thompson Center Contender. Compact, portable, discrete.

I like my Remington Varminter in .223, but if fails to meet your price criteria.

------------------
Vigilantibus et non dormientibus jura subveniunt

A little higher than your stated ceiling but you can get a CZ (BRNO) 527 Lux for $495 from Toonerville Junction according to GunList. I would think you'd have a better likelihood of finding an accurate BRNO than an accurate Ruger. Price is with RINGS and one magazine. Spare magazines cost about $45 best price I can find. The stutzen version (full stocked) is advertised for $595. I did a bit better on the latter version at a gunshow. Haven't shot it yet since I'm waiting on a scope but if it shoots like it's older mate in Hornet, it's my pick of the 223's on the market.

Hope that's useful.

for the money your looking to spend I would seriously consider the savage 12fv, this is a heavy barrelled bolt gun that shoots like a house afire, <.5" moa all day long. you can pick this up for around $350.00, if accuracy is what your after you won't go wrong. I'd put it up against any of the above metioned guns, no problem. besides bolt guns are the only way to go.

Have to agree on the savage tho $350 seems light price wise for the 112, the 110 fp (TACTICAL) is a flat black bull barreled rifle in 308 or 223 and is in that price range and savage makes one HELL of an accurate rifle.

I've owned TWO savage 30-06's, a model 110b and a 116 fsak

BOTh shoot sub moa.

Dr.Rob

My dad just picked up a used Savage 10fp tactical for $340 i is like new with a harris bipod and a 3-9x30 simmons scope on it. Although he is going to change the scope he was pretty excited to get one at that price. He check three other places and they wanted 425 NIB.
my 2 cents

It'd be hard to beat the Savage; however, when you add the price of the aftermarket trigger, you'll have more invested than you're talking about. Timney and Sharpshooter both make decent triggers for the otherwise-lousy-triggered Savages.

Kind of makes that Rem. ADL look pretty good, which comes with a fine, fully-adjustable factory trigger and will most likely shoot 1" or less out of the box.

Back