.223 or 5.56 in Wylde Chamber

baddarryl

I know you can shoot both. Is one inherently more accurate in those chambers? I just got a Rock River NM with one. Thanks.

Where the case is should be the same, it's the throate length, and angle that the rifling engages the bullet that are different.

Functionally, as far as the bullet is concerned, all you are changing is the pressure. Given the powder you choose, a .223 or 5.56 case (they are not the same internally) would have a very small difference which I doubt anyone could see on target.

I probably shoot more 5.56 pressure ammo than most, and it is all with 69 grain or heavier bullets loaded in LC brass for my long range loads. They are more accurate than my 55 grain hoser loads, but I don't think it has anything to do with the pressure.

I's my understanding it's to allow use of 5.56 ammo in the .223 safely. 5.56 is loaded to higher pressure than .223. The Wilde chamber allows safe use of either .223 or 5.56. Hopefully better accuracy with the .223 than is to be expected with .223 in a 5.56 chamber.

I’ve had two Rock River barrels in .223 Wylde and both were easily sub moa at 100 yards with just two iterations of hand loads. I didn’t see the point of working harder than that because 100yds is my longest station.

Use .223 dies

Per Wilson Combat:

The .223 Wylde is a hybrid .223/5.56 chamber designed by Bill Wylde to yield the accuracy advantages of the match .223 Remington commercial chambering, but without pressure or reliability failures when using high velocity 5.56 NATO spec ammunition. The .223 Wylde achieves better accuracy by having a chamber throat that is tighter than 5.56, but will still function reliably with military 5.56 ammunition because the case dimensions are the same. These facts lead to the .223 Wylde having superior target and varmint accuracy, a compatibility with all .223 and 5.56 NATO ammunitions, and being a top choice for competition shooters.

I’ve had two Rock River barrels in .223 Wylde and both were easily sub moa at 100 yards with just two iterations of hand loads. I didn’t see the point of working harder than that because 100yds is my longest station.

Use .223 dies
Hey Pete. What did you use for loads if you don’t mind?

I was using 55g hornady FMJ with RL 15, Winchester white box second fired brass and Winchester primers. I don't have my notes on that but I was working up to 25.5 grains by 0.2 grain increments and I found my sweet spot before I got there. I expect what works for your gun will be different than my load anyways, but that will get you started. Nothing fancy but .. shot better than me.

That was with RRA 1:8 twist full bull barrels in 20 and 26" and I learned they are both heavy pipes to lug around and they had no apparent difference in accuracy and only tiny differences in velocity and accuracy and that they made me wish I had a 300m range to continue to play with them. Alas.

...what barrel twist...out of curiousity?
I'm guessing twist will determine what loads you'll gravitate towards initially for testing?

Be CAREFUL!

I was reloading .223 cases and reloaded a 5.56, then fired it in a T/C 21" barrel. Tried ejecting it and almost bent the ejector trying to get the 5.56 case out!

I have a bag of Win .223 dedicated for the T/C.

Hmmm, I have reloaded tons of what we're 5.56 fired cases, mostly range pick up or some purchased once fired stuff. I clean, and trim back to minimum, remove primer crimp and load to .223 data, mostly with 55 gn hPS and never think twice about it. Occasionally have one that needs culled but they just go into scrap bucket. Haven't even gone to small base dies yet, although if I hadn't already had .223 dues befire I bought an AR I would have started with them.

Back