223 LC brass

kmw1954

On another forum, I believe the Savage Forum I was talking about starting loading for it and a couple members suggested that I sort by 223 by headstamp because there is so much variation in case volume. One even suggested that he sorts his LC brass by date number.

So in your opinions how much difference is there and does it matter. Also with the LC brass I have 150 pcs with a 20 date stamp yet with 2 completely different crimps on the primers. Does that make a difference?

It matters. My AR has a Wilson barrel chambered in 223 Wylde by WOA. It shoots xm193 to 2 moa like every AR, but with year sorted LC, I’ve shot 5 shot 1/2” 100 yd groups.

I year sorted because I had a good rifle that was just too inconsistent. This brought groups consistently under 1”.

I wonder what Lapua will do?

So in your opinions how much difference is there and does it matter. Also with the LC brass I have 150 pcs with a 20 date stamp yet with 2 completely different crimps on the primers. Does that make a difference?

It matters a lot to separate 223 brass by head stamp . However not as much with in LC years but can vary enough for match loading . I do separate by LC years but I also have a LARGE lot of mixed LC 5.56 brass that works just fine for 55gr plinking loads . I would not mix LC years if you want match quality loads . I will say this though . I've done a lot of case volume test with my 308 LC brass and some years are almost exactly the same as far as case volume goes . I mixed my LC-09 & 10 together because there case volume avg is with in .2gr . My LC-17 and LC 10 cases have an avg of 1.2gr difference in case volume so those don't get mixed and loads are worked up separately for those years respectfully .

Thank you gentlemen. I have varying quantities of LC from 14 to 20 with 20 being the most.

I do not have an issue with sorting by headstamp, I do it with my pistol brass but for a much different reason. Again still learning this bottleneck stuff and asking questions to learn the trade.

For a bolt rifle, I would look at getting 250 Starline or 200 Lapua. I would also get a quality Redding or Forster die set.

Well it matters and it doesn’t. Depends what your shooting. For accuracy, yes you want the same brass. For rocking it through your at pistol at some bottles at 25 yards, not so much. Generally if mil cases books say to back of suggested loaded by 10% due to decreased case capacity.

I would agree with oprod, if you are just plinking at the range & don't plan on any max loads there is no need to sort brass. But if you are loading to max loads, or shooting for accuracy/competition have the exact same brass is necessary so you can get the same results each time you pull the trigger.

I have had opposite results then others above, Shooting Horn 55 grain FMJ with mid load of H335 and also a Nosler match 68 over varget, Use to sort all the 68 load brass, only used PMC, for the heck of it i sorted several different head stamps, loaded them up both with the 55 and 68 pills, scoped rifles and shot groups, found minimal differences in groupings. Now shooting both of my loads with mixed brass in 4 or 5 different ARs for 3 gun, and they all shoot pretty well, 68s hold an inch or under, and the 55s are never over 1.25, and under 1 inch in 3 of the rifles. I how ever am not running hot loads, barrels are 1 odin works 2 Remington fluted match and 2 AR stoner 18 inch.

Back