223 for use with a sling?

baddarryl

Hi all. I am looking for a .223 bolt and have narrowed it down I think to the Howa 1500, Tikka T3, or Ruger American. I do a bit of Appleseed and my main concern is the pressure put on the stock when using a sling properly. Can anyone attest to this? Shooting off the bench is one thing, but unsupported with a sling is a whole different animal. I want a stiff stock, smooth action and good trigger. So far I am leaning towards the Tikka's, but I am open to other suggestions in the low to mid price range. Thanks.

I was impressed with the synthetic stock on the T/C Venture. It is more substantial than most of them that I have seen, and the rifle itself is top notch.

Just a suggestion.

On the others, I would buy the one you like best, and save up 129 bucks for a Boyds laminated stock which will improve any of them.

I cant say anything for the Howa 1500 or Tikka T3, but I do use a sling with the Ruger American Predator (in 6.5 CM).

I've bee shooting high power for about 40 years or so and got quite use to the M1917 style sling. I use it on all my hunting rifles including the Ruger. I have never had a problem, as light as it is it doesn't have problems with sling pressure pulling on the stock.

And I might add, I use a rather tight sling. I don't get any change of impact.

I'm going to go out on a limb and say I don't believe you will have problems with the Howa or Tikka either, though I never used those.

I know my Winchesters and Remington's don't have problems either.

Thanks to both of you. Maybe I am just over thinking. I have experience with Boyd's and that is always an option. Thanks.

Have a Ruger American in .223. The sling is fine. I have shot with a leather and nylon strap cranked as hard as I could and got NO poi shift. I will admit I did that because someone on here was complaining about how bad the stock was. Don't know what that persons issue was, but nothing at all to be concerned about with the RAs.

Also have a RA Predator in .243...same.

I think you have three good choices picked out. Pick on and go with it.

"...unsupported with a sling..." Using a sling is supporting yourself. What rifle you use really makes no difference as long as the thing has the swivel studs. So you can pick the rifle that speaks to you.
The actual sling doesn't make much difference either, but the type with the wide shoulder padded part(Cobra I think they're marketed as) isn't as easy to use as a simple strap style sling.
The cloth/web sling used on an M1 Rifle works really well though. Nylon will do as well. Leather isn't as forgiving, but works, of course.

A small capacity bolt rifle is not a good option for Appleseed. Been there, done that

Do any of these or others have capacity for 10 round mags?

"...unsupported with a sling..." Using a sling is supporting yourself. What rifle you use really makes no difference as long as the thing has the swivel studs. So you can pick the rifle that speaks to you.
The actual sling doesn't make much difference either, but the type with the wide shoulder padded part(Cobra I think they're marketed as) isn't as easy to use as a simple strap style sling.
The cloth/web sling used on an M1 Rifle works really well though. Nylon will do as well. Leather isn't as forgiving, but works, of course.

I use the green USGI slings. Not real comfortable so I was thinking of trying something else, but after reading your thoughts I'll stick with it. Thanks.

Mag capacity, calibre and action type is irrelevant according to the Appleseed web site. Any safe shoulder fired rifle is fine.
"...Not real comfortable..." Hi. Comfort is important when shooting. I've used Lee-Enfield web slings and U.S. issue slings for eons. Similar materials. Not for Appleseed though. No such thing up here. I do find them comfortable though. The thing has to go on your upper arm.
There are several commercial cf rifles with 10 round mags. None of which are exactly inexpensive. The Ruger 'Scout' for example, runs $1199 MSRP. Mind you, the Savage M10 LEO comes with a 10 round mag at an MSRP of $785. The real issue is having more than one mag. Shooting a bolt action all day isn't a lot of fun either. An M1 or M1A(or any semi-auto battle rifle) is though.

I disagree that anything less than a 10 round mag is not a disadvantage. Some stages are 10 rounds and two stages are 2 + 8 with a mag change after the two. Guys with M1s or whatever make additional mag changes on some stages. For me personally I already have my Rifleman and look at doing it with a bolt as just another challenge. If it means more mag changes then that is even more of a challenge! Heck old guys did it with .30/06 bolt actions. It certainly can be done with just about any rifle. I really want it for the KD events.

There is no debating that it is certainly easier to do with a good semi auto .22 for the standard events.

Proper sling technique will not affect most bolt action rifles negatively, as the sling rides along the back of the support hand pulling the stock directly back into the shooters shoulder. The reason why sling technique is important with a Garand or M1A, or rack grade M16 or M4 is that the sling attachment is either directly on the barrel, or on something wrapped around the barrel. On those military rifles, the sling changes the "pitch" of the barrel harmonics, and if sling tension isn't consistent, groups will open up. Many old shooters found that groups would tighten up going from a rest to the sling because the sling dampened harmonics just enough to be more consistent.

One of the reasons why AR-15s dominate is that a NM free float tube eliminates any sling induced harmonic changes in the barrel. But like I started with, pretty much any synthetic stocked bolt action rifle, no matter how flimsy, is going to be just fine with proper sling technique. Improper sling technique is anyone's guess.

FWIW I earned my Rifleman patch with a 232 out of 250 using a bolt action rifle with 5 round mags. I wouldn't want to try it with smaller mags, but two five rounders wasn't a hinderance.

Jimro

I'm right pleased with the Ruger American, especially the heavier barreled Predator. It is still light enough for easy carrying, but just heavy enough to balance and shoot very well

The original Ruger Stocks were a bit flimsey, but even those shot very well with a generous free float so the stock and barrel could not touch. Newer versions have a stiffer stock design that is fine as is. No need to waste money on an aftermarket stock.

Old stock and new stock desgns.

Do you or anyone have experience with that Mossberg? I had a 535 Shotgun once that was junk so I am leery. Looks like a great option though. Especially the long range version.

I have a Tikka T3 in 223 and it is a tack driver, I also have a boyds thumbhole on it and as a matter of interest, mine was the first one made and the reason I know this, boyds borrowed my Tikka to use as a pattern to make the first stock. Quite a unique story I think..But I do like the Tikka it has a very smooth action and as I said, with the boyds and even with the stock stock it shoots very very well.

The Howa 1500 mini action in .223 does have a 10 round detachable magazine. I have one and love it. The factory stock is quite good also.

Back