.223 for Coyotes??

CoyDog

I recently picked up a nice little Browning A-Bolt Micro in .223 and plan to use it for a walking varmint rifle. I'm getting good accuracy with Nosler 55 grain Ballistic Tips, and also with the cheapo Wal-Mart W-W Varmint packs that use a 40 grain hollowpoint (40 rounds for $11.50).

I'd like to hear from those who have experience using the .223 on coyotes. What kind of stopping power can I expect, and what are the range limitations for this round?
Good Shooting, CoyDog

Well, the proverbial neck or chest-cavity shot tends to put an end to Ol' Wiley.

I'd say the range part of the deal is a function of how accurately you can shoot from a casual rest. If I were confident of my hit, I wouldn't be concerned out to, say, 300 yards or so...

FWIW, Art

I use a similar set up. My walk about varmint gun in a Sako lightweight hunter in .223 Rem. More than accurate enough for even wee vermin to 300 yds.

Farmers in my part of the world like the 223 for jackal and other vermin and get good results from it. distances shot range from 20 to approx 150 meters. Most though are changing to 22-50. Most of the shooting is done at night and alot withn open sights for quick target aquisition

The .223 is fine for coyotes. Has enough power as well as distance to drop them yotes anywhere you hit them.
Best of luck....Cag

Back