223 bolt action tack driver ?

I've got an older Savage 110E (pre-accu-trigger) in .223 that'll shoot .5 MOA groups with most factory ammo out there. I'm sure I could dial it down if I reloaded for it.

Wouldn't it be the neatest thing since peanut butter if we could do a side-by-side comparison between 5 or so randon off-the-shelf Savages and 5 or so same condition CZ 527's? Factory ammo of various makes and weights and reloads... That would answer so many questions for me.

I love my CZ's but I see such a tight race between what's rocommended here on the boards- I can't help but get the wonderments.

Put 5 rem 700's in there for good measure.

All models same type, meaning accutrigger v x-mark pro v whatever CZ's trigger is.

Free floated barrel on all 3 etc.

If you don't mind a used rifle, the Remington 788 in .223 Rem is pretty darn good. I was working up a new load with mine last weekend using Hornday 40gr V-MAX and Varget powder. When doing load work, I load 4 rounds in each weight. This was the first group I tested. I stopped testing after I finished those 4 shots. No reason to waste any more bullets, powder, or time. It was good enough for me.

If you don't mind a used rifle, the Remington 788 in .223 Rem is pretty darn good.

Yes! I have one also, and it's a tack driver! I had the receiver and barrel glass bedded which helped immensely!

Be carefull what you select. Alot of 223Rem rifles now have 1:7,1:8,1:9 barrel twists which are better for the 60gr+ bullits and some are 1:12 twist for the lighter bullits. So depending on what you are trying to shoot be aware that this is a factor. I shoot alot of Ground Hogs with a Weatherby Mark V Super Predator Master 1:12 twist using 55gr Hornady V-max and it is super accurate.

There are several makers that produce fine accurate rifles. I own a Savage Model 12 FSSV that is sub half MOA on a bad day. I own a CZ 527 American in .221 Rem fireball that is beyond a tack driver, I am sure one in .223 Rem would be just as great. Remington makes several platforms. The VTR series are good as well. I was torn between the Remington, and the Savage. I do not regret getting the Savage. I am sure I would not have regretted it if I had purchased the Remington.

In the end pick the one you like the most. Truth be told they are all accurate, in fact more so than 98% of the people that own them. I am man enough to admit being that 98%.

I would like to add a comment about the CZ 527 in 223....I have a weakness for mannlicher styled rifles...and CZ makes the 527-223....with the full length stock. It is such a joy to handle/admire...but the real surprise was how utterly accurate this little rifle has turned out to be!
In spite of the possiblities of a full length stock affecting accuracy....mine has not been the case....everyone who has taken a turn with this rifle...always comes back with a slackjaw....eyes open reaction...when three rounds...more often than not...are one ragged hole!!!

No use having a rifle for that is a tack driver. It sends the tack right through the object you are trying to hang and it falls down. Unless of course you use the other end and then its a bit difficult to manipulate.

Check out the Ruger M77 Mark ll Target. Had one that would shoot 3/8" @100yrds. w/ factory ammo. Regret selling it.

Weatherby Mark V Super Predator Master

Might also take a look at the Howa 1500 it is the action used for a lot of Weatherby and S&W rifles, depending on when it was manufactured.

I have one with an axiom stock and a carbon fiber wrapped barrel. It is a good shooter and a lot of fun. The adjustable stock allows it to be used by smaller people.

Back