.223 AR 15 for Hogs

ksorange

Inactive
I have been thinking about Texas hog hunt. My background is .30 cal,but was interested if anyone had experience with a .223, and what loads were used.

I do not, but I have several friends that do have such experience. One in N Carolina, 2 in Texas and 2 on Oklahoma.

All tell me that in the 5.56 chambering, to use good quality tough jacketed bullets (not FMJs which fragment) They say he 5.56 round with any good bullet that will hold together is fine for hogs.

My 2 friends in Oklahoma told me they prefer the 7.62X39 rounds for hogs over the 223s, but they had good luck with their ARs before they got AKs.

So---- that's all 2nd hand info, but I believe its good info.

I have a hunting buddy who hunts hogs with an AR-15, but not with 5.56mm ammunition. He uses a 6.8mm upper, and he seems happy with the results.

Just another datapoint.

:cool:

I have a 6.8 too, and I have killed a lot of deer and antelope with it. I am SURE it would be very good for Hogs. I have seen a few deer kills with 223s and about 15 kills now with 7.62X39s. The 6.8 beats them both in its effect on flesh and bones.
:)

Once upon a couple decades ago in FL, the prime weapons of choice amongst the hog hunters who I ran with were the AR and the Mini-14. The shot of choice was behind the ear. Worked well.

That was then. Today, there is a much better bullet selection to choose from than was around back then for .223/5.56. Still not sure I would take a vital zone shot with it, but it's much more viable.

If given the choice, 6.8, 6.5 Grendel, .450 BM, .243 or .25 WSSM or perhaps .50 Beowulf would be my preferred choices in an AR. In a bolt, take your pick from .243 on up in my book.

After all, if you are spending the money to go all the way to Texas to hunt hogs, why bring something that is at the bottom of the spectrum? Don't get me wrong, I've killed hogs in a pen with a .22LR for slaughter, and have seen .223 work, but if faced with a bruiser in the 400+ range, ya might want a wee bit more gun.

Just my .02...

PS... If all I was going to shoot were pigs up to ~120, I probably wouldn't mind the .223.

Last edited:
I think a 458 Socom would make an awesome hog AR15

That said I think a 223 would be fine as long as you are skilled with it.

Back