223/556 case separation

308Loader

They say there is a first time for everything, this is a first for me. I had a case separate about a third of the way down the body from the mouth. I’ve read about separations happening just above the web and inspect cases for that prior to reloading. Looking for the shiny ring, if I see one, the case is tossed in the circular file. I don’t check 223/556 with a paperclip or feeler gauge, just chuck them if they even look at me funny. Dents in the body or deep scratches, discolored spots, dinged up extractor grove, felt unusual in the press… right in the trash without a second thought. My brass stock is range pickup sifted and sorted by cal, so I cant say for certain that they are once fired. I deprime, wet tumble, size, sort by head stamp, all the while inspecting the case for serviceability.

I don’t run my AR loads hot. Powder charge (BLC2) is mid range Hornady book loads for 223 (25.1gr). Standard (CCI) small rifle primers. Rifle barrel is stamped 556. Loaded the same way 1000s of times over different head stamps. Only thing different about this batch of 100 was berry’s 55gr FMJ in place of Hornady’s pill. Inspected the Berry’s bullets with caliper, all seems to be in step. At round 80 or so (fired in 10 shot groups) rifle went click instead of bang. Looking into the receiver I found the top third of the last round was blocking the next from feeding (sideways on the feed ramp). Bottom third was ejected about 6 inches onto the bench.

Doesn’t seem to be any damage to the rifle, did a quick dissemble and visual check at the bench to be sure nothing else was amiss. Probably shouldn’t have, but I sent the last 20 through without issue. This separation has me concerned with what I missed on inspection or loading. Any thoughts? I have pictures of the case in the postmortem condition, will post after resizing to a format this site will allow me to upload. There are no pressure signs on the primer or case head of this one or the others In this batch that I recovered. Confused…

Buying New Brass Now

I have never experienced a case separation. Since your sourcing is unknown, you may never deterine the cause. I recently began purchasing new 223/556 brass (and my other calibers). I have 500 each LC, and 500 Starline 5.56. Having done so, I am now looking at retiring all my range pickup type brass. Included in that is worn LC (unknown history), Federal and FC (which I set aside anyway), and miscellaneous Fiocci, Hornady, and anything else I do not have 500 of.
I will probably give my old brass away to a new reloader if I can find one, or dump them in my ranges brass bin.

I have never experienced a case separation. Since your sourcing is unknown, you may never deterine the cause. I recently began purchasing new 223/556 brass (and my other calibers). I have 500 each LC, and 500 Starline 5.56. Having done so, I am now looking at retiring all my range pickup type brass. Included in that is worn LC (unknown history), Federal and FC (which I set aside anyway), and miscellaneous Fiocci, Hornady, and anything else I do not have 500 of.
I will probably give my old brass away to a new reloader if I can find one, or dump them in my ranges brass bin.
Had a friend that had case head separation with a 44spl with virgin starline brass. In all fairness his load was on the spicy side probably his fault.

I would be happy to have some extra 223/5.56 brass if it needs a good home, shoot me a PM if you want to get rid of it.

Years past I purchased once fired LC brass by the 1000. I always closely inspect purchased once fired cases. I have not been able to see stretch marks or rings on the inside from the outside. In the 1000 rd. lots I often find 2-3 up to 25 cases with classic stretch marks inside. Some not bad but a very few that look like they could separate on the next firing. My method is to size the case and take a penlight and shine it into the primer pocket through the flash hole and look inside the case for stretch marks. If I see something I use a feeler wire. I find more stretch marks where your case failed, about 1/3 down just below where the annealing stops. Some once fired must get fired in a badly headspaced military rifle?

Some once fired must get fired in a badly headspaced military rifle?
True. Squad Auto Weapon (not the M4/M16).
See the mention here in Brass
http://www.gibrass.com/brass.html

My comment about moving to new brass, or at least verifiable once fired LC (like GI Brass sells), was to encourage reloaders to do the same. It is a personal decision, whether you want to pickup, collect, or buy at least once fired brass. My point was you have no one else to blame when something goes wrong, if it was stuff you picked up.
Handgun brass works better for cleaning and sorting. Bottleneck rifle cases though, I have gotten pickier. The question to me is not: Can I loaded it one more time? Rather, the question now is: Do I want to reload that brass?, and more importantly, do I want to run it a maximum pressures, with expensive projectiles, like copper bullets?

Last edited:
I rarely see a 223/5.56 shooter than hand loads. Those that do collect their brass.

I have no issue picking up brass, you just assess it. The one time I got some bad brass was suspicious as it was Lapua and left laying on the ground. Some was fine and some was over pressure. Sorted the two out and no issues.

That said the only time I had separated (cracked base) was repeatedly fired brass and despite the people who say otherwise, none of the rounds nor that one had any kind of an indicator inside.

I reformed my re-size ops, I do a minimum shoulder bump, segregated by rifle and I anneal (though that is for neck cracks).

Chambers are a factor and if its a military chamber vs a civilians one you may have a bit extra. Might be enough to push one over the edge.

I experience my first separation about 4 weeks ago on a 22lr round, very loud pop and got sprayed with powder.

Could there be a chance it grew too much on the initial firing , and needed the shoulder bumped back too much causing stress on the next firing to stretch back out ?

I've been reloading over thirty years and have had one case head separation a couple years in. Mine was also .223 and the same location on the case where you described yours. Mine was in a Mini-14 and most of the case ejected leaving the shoulder and neck in the chamber. The next round jammed in so hard they were stuck together. I kept it on the bench as a reminder. I since determined the cause to be following the die manufacturer's recommendation of turning the die down on the shell holder of a raised ram to contact, then another 3/4 turn. I now measure bolt face to chamber shoulder and adjust the dies to match my chamber.

Back