.223-08?

HALLAUSTIN

Is there such a thing? With things like copper solids I'm thinking it'd stay together. Could be wrong though, was this never a round because 22-250 is already available? If anyone has made or attempted this I'd be interested in hearing the results.

Cartridges of the World

My copy of the above text lists two wildcat versions of a .22 caliber centerfire based on a .308 Benchrest case (small primer pocket).

-the .22 BR is based on a shortened .308 bench case

-the .22 Cheetah is based on a full size .308 bench case

Given the propensity of both commercial and private experimenters to neck the standard .308 case up and down, I'm betting that there have been other wildcat versions as well, likely plenty. I am aware of no commercial cartridge released so configured.

Here's my take on the designation- 5.5x51mm, kind of catchy, what?
I suspect you are correct in your comments regards the 22-250. That case (based on the 250 Savage, and the older 220 Swift, get about all we can handle from .22 centerfire. Both have the rep of being a bit hard on bores

Look under .22x243 and you will find more information. The neckdown from .243 to .224" is easier and the end result is the same as necking .308 way down.
I recall off the top of my head the straight .22x243 and the Middlestead wildcat. There are probably more.

Other large .22s without the convenience of common brass include the 5.6x57 RWS and the .224 Clark. Both are meant for game shooting with heavy tough bullets, 74 gr RWS, 80 gr Clark. There is also the later .22 Texas Trophy Hunter along the same lines.

There have been several 22-06 cartridges over the years. The 22 Ackley used a 70 gr .228" bullet in the 30-06 case. Ballistics are quite impressive on paper, but the problem people had with it was poor bullet performance on game animals, which makes sense given that the 70 gr .228" bullet was designed for the Savage 22 High-Power cartridge which left the barrel about 2600 fps (600 fps slower than the 22 Ackley). Laws setting minimum calibers and the trend away from using high velocity 22 caliber bullets for game hunting pretty much killed the 22 Ackley. 220 Swift and 22-250 pretty much took over the varminting role, with less recoil and muzzle blast affecting shooters and target animals.

I could be wrong,but casually,off the top of my head,don't the .300 Savage and .250 Savage share the same basic case?

I have a 300 Savage Rem Model 81.I was getting a little concerned about brass price and availability. Forming from.308 was suggested.I looked at the drawings.Between the .308 and the .300 Savage,the case body transitions to shoulder angle at essentially the same length.The shoulder angle is a little steeper on the .300 Savage,and the neck is shorter.

The neck of the .300 Savage is a bit short for 30 cal,but fine for .250 or .22.

In the grand scheme of things,if you want to wildcat just a bit,put a 22-250 Ackley chamber in a tight twist barrel and I think you will be close to what you are looking for.

And how can we forget Parker O. Ackley's .22 Eargesplitten Loudenboomer. It was a .378 Weatherby necked down for .224 bullets. Bob Hutton, of Guns & Ammo magazine, and Ackley were trying to reach the 5,000 Ft/sec velocity mark. ("Handbook for Shooters & Reloaders", Vol II, p, 141, P. O. Ackley)

You have 220 Swift case which would be close to 22-250AI and Swift has little less case capacity than 243 neck down. If you AI the Swift it be real close to 243.

Ken Water did article in Wildcat Cartridges Vol 1 on 22x243 (Middlested) and it had 30 degree shoulder and that was about 200ft faster than Swift so AI Swift would be option.

I shoot 22Br it neck down 6br case and they blew that case of for 22/6 Dasher

http://bulletin.accurateshooter.com/tag/22-dasher/

There was a short lived 22 called the "22 Souper" (yes I spelled it right) formed from 308 necked to 22. It was named for the results on ground hogs and other small game. These massively over bored cartridges usually disappear as fast as they wear out barrels.

I had a couple .22-250s that I used for targets, using it to win lots of turkey shoots. It shot lots of woodchucks, crows, and other varmints also. The thing I didn't like about it was the wind deflection at 300+ yds., plus the lack of feedback on misses.

One day, before we had rangefinders, my buddy and I shot half a box of ammo each at a woodchuck on a side-hill mound in long grass. We couldn't see our misses and ended up pacing off the distance, which we thought was about 225 yards. It turned out being over 300 yds.

When we started woodchuck hunting, it was to improve our shooting in practice for deer hunting. I had a .30-06 Savage 110 with a custom stock and a Weaver K 2.5x. The great thing about using it was that we could see our misses because it usually threw up a lot of dirt on impact. It enabled me to make a 500 yard woodchuck kill on the second shot.

That said, if I'd started with a .243 Win, or 6mm Rem, I'd probably been much happier. Wind in Maine during spring chuck season is very high and often unpredictable, due to woods and hills. Using 85 grain bullets, the 6mm is a great varmint caliber and it tends to throw up some dirt on misses. It may not be great for prairie dogs, due to recoil, etc., but hard to beat here on chucks and crows, (if there were any chucks left in fields).

Yeah, it is an old wildcat. The hottest .22 Wildcat I have ever personally shot was a 30-06 Ackley improved necked down to .22. I know the .378 WBY has been necked down to .22, but I have never personally seen it.

Back