.22 WMR Waht Game Can I Reasonably Take With This Rifle

Mike H

Guys,

Having now "taken off" with the whole new arena of rifle shooting (see my earlier post on the .338), I also noticed a cute little Ruger semi-auto in .22 Winchester Magnum (whatever that is) at the gun store, which apparently is quite a new gun and proving to be a big seller. What would this gun offer me that .22LR wouldn't and does the cartridge offer me any game potential or is it just another squirrel chaser with a hint of added poke ?

------------------
A Person Is Smart
But People Are Stupid

Mike H

I bought one of these when they were first available and it is a great little rifle. I put a Nikon 4x on it and haven't looked back.

I don't know what you are looking for out of it as a hunting gun, but I wouldn't suggest coyote or deer.... you probably macx out at the Bobcat level. The real advantage of the .22 magnum over the .22lr againts things like coons, fox, skunks, etc. is the added range.

Hello. In my opinion, Rob has it right. I've used a .22 mag on fox, jackrabbits, etc inside 100 yards with telling effect. I'd go no larger. That's not to say that if I had this and a coyote presented itself such that I could make a good shot, I wouldn't take it!
I'd go no larger, however. Best.

I would go no larger than the fox.... I have heard stories of deer taken at 200 yards, but I would stick to animals turkey size or smaller.
CJB

cjb, I hope you didn't fall for the deer story.

I have had excellent results with this round against ground hogs (wood chucks for some of you) out to 150yds. with one shot drops.

If I'm not mistaken, the round usually has a velocity around 1700 fps. and 40grs. bullet(there are some lighter ones as well) Remington just came out with a couple new designs this past year. The most obvious distiction is the jacketed bullet (SP,JHP,FMJ)

Practical application would be coyote size and down. (I'd keep coyote under 60-50 yds.)

Price maybe a couple $ more per box but the performace sure is worth it. (box-o-50)

Stay Safe Tack

------------------
Be Safe, Be Trained

Life is tough...it's alot tougher if you don't know how to shoot.

I would only shoot a deer if I was about 10 ft. away. I bet it would work then! I do however routinely pop a chipmunk target at 100-125 yards square in the head. SO.. theoretically I think you could easily take coyote's with good shot placement. And even maybe larger game if you placed shots well. Although.... shots in the field are always more difficult than at the range. I did see on www.marlinfirearms.com in their talk section, where in Hawaii you can use 22WMR to take down some small deer that ravages crops there. I am thoroughly impressed, see my post on an unfortunate swamp bunny in the hunting forum. :D

------------------
I thought I'd seen it all, until a 22WMR spun a bunny 2 1/4 times in the air!

A good gun i own one of the rugers i put a nice scope on it, i have taken small game from crows to rabbits and up to full size coyotes no farthere than 50 yards. at this range head shots or body shots will take them down. kinda expencive for 22 but its fun!

enjoy :)
house

Tackleberry,
I have withheld some info. in my reply above, but now I'll let it all hang out. I live in Pa. and we have a problem with whitetail deer. Problem 1 = too many deer being hit by cars, and destroying corn fields. Problem 2= POACHING!! I was there when a farmer ( friend of mine) was legaly shooting deer for crop damage. His rifle was a Marlin .22 mag. ( not my first choice) He killed 5 deer that evening, ALL OVER 50 yards, one doe out to about 200 yards. A HEADSHOT. The .22 mag is known as the OUTLAW rifle in my area because of the minimal noise at night. I know a chap that claimed to kill 25 deer in one summer with his MAG.
I don't poach, and didn't want anyone to think that I did. But the .22 mag WILL KILL a deer at 200 yards. I hunt LEGALY, and use my MAG. on small game, at much closer ranges.
CJB

Wild man ..... absolutely wild.

I know about your problems, I'm in southern Ontario and the population problem is very much alive here.

------------------
Be Safe, Be Trained

Life is tough...it's alot tougher if you don't know how to shoot.

If the need arose I have no doubt about stopping the 2-legged predator as well! ;)

------------------

.22Mag? Interesting cartridge. Does anyone know the highest velocity .22Mag loading?

Costwise, how does .22Mag compare with 5.56mm?

Wow, I am so excited about all the enthusiasm of the 22 mag here!!

Shin-tao, the highest I have seen is about 2100 fps (I might have seen a 2200 fps, but I doubt the acutal ballistics of either would be near to the claimed). The .223 really beats out the 22 mag in both range, velocity, and energy. It's not a subsitute at all. Each has its own advantages and disadvantages -- each has its own purposes.

Hueco

The quickest I've seen is a custom load by www.outlandsales.com It has a 35 grain Hornady V-max bullet and clocks at around 2250fps. I think 22WMR is cheaper than .223 (a.k.a. 22 on steroids!) Although .223 may be chaeaper in long run if you reload. With the surging popularity of 22WMR I think better loads will soon be available at better costs.
Factory wise is Federals 30 grain Sierra bullet at 2200fps. Tied with CCI's Maxi-Mag+V. As with all 22's it depends on you gun. I do know however that many indoor ranges allow .22WMR and not .223! Opens alot of doors.

------------------

Back