.22 target revolver

bandaidman

I would like to buy a .22lr target revolver (one that is drilled and tapped for a scope). I like the S&W 617 6" the best of the ones I've handled . Pardon my ignorance, but are there "pre-agreement" ones available (ie when were these first made). If not, any other suggestions?

Other suggestions...

M980B.jpg

http://www.taurususa.com/m980.html
I don't know if it is drilled and tapped though.

Hello-
The K22 is also available used as a Model 17, the 617 you shot being the stainless version. The SSl.
guns are quite high, IMO, when compared to a blue
M17. The 17s can be found for as low as $225 in good shootable condition. They were made from the late '40s on so there are a LOT of 'em around.
They would need to be tapped. I would stick with the 6 inch brrl.as the 8 3/8s gets in the way and
offers little in accuracy gain. ENJOY ! ...dewey

Bandaidman,

Suggest a look at my favorites the Dan Wesson Model 22 or 722 if you prefer stainless. These revolvers are built on the DW small frame which is about the same size as a S&W "L" frame. I find the extra weight of the larger frame helps to balance the gun with a long barrel installed. Barrels are easy to swap and run from 2-1/2 to 10 inches.
Burris makes scope mounts for these revolvers both blue and stainless. I'm sure others do as well. Check with Midway or any of the on-line web sights.
Dan Wesson's website is www.danwessonfirearms.com
Take Care

Bandaidman,

I'm trying to figure out whether you are accident prone yourself or do you dispense the bandaids? ;)

Taurus also used to make the model 96. It was a six shot 6-1/2 inch barrel blue revolver. These can be found quite inexpensively on the used market. New they ran about $250. I wouldn't sell mine for less than that though! I bought mine the day before Brady just because. :p I bought it specifically as a cheap plinker, but with target grade accuracy. Also, it would make for a great revolver to train newbies with. Good sights, low recoil and plenty of accuracy potential.

The factory target that was shipped with the gun had a nice 3/4" group at 25 meters. Is that accurate enough for you? Not sure if the Taurus was factory drilled for a scope mount though...

Back