.22 short in a Ruger MKII??

I think the answers are:

Yes, it's safe.

No, the shorts won't fully cycle the action so you would have to use them in single shot mode.

I don't think they will feed reliably from the mag.

Tellya what. I'm curious enough about this so I'll go out in the backyard and try it. Hang on....

I was able to load about 4 rounds in the mag and they fired and cycled in my MKII. Any more than 4 rounds and they didn't work well. Also the gun barely cycled. If I wanted to use them regularly, I would put a spacer in a mag and lighten the recoil spring.

Backyard varmints?

From experience:

1. Yes, it's safe.
2. The action won't cycle.
3. If you're lucky, one short will feed from the top of the otherwise empty mag.

I use CCI CB rounds. They come in short and regular (not .22 long rifle). The regulars won't cycle the action either, but you can have one in the chamber and three in the mag and if you're lucky, they'll feed when you cycle it manually. What are you hunting, or are you target practicing?

Regards.

Range report

I used Rem 22 Short High Velocity.

Similar to Intel6's experience, I could only get a few rounds in the mag before they turned down and failed to reach the mag lips in proper orientation. I could consistently get only 3 to work from the mag.

The shorts cycled the bolt nicely, probably due to the HV shorts. It even locked back consistently on the last round out of the mag so they had plenty of oomph.

Accuracy was fairly good.

With the design of the standard mag, I don't think a spacer would work. So single shots are really the only way to go without redesigning the magazine.

YMKIIMV

I've used CCI CBs in my ruger MK II. and while they won't work the action. they do feed from a full magazine.

I suspect that it wouldn't be a huge deal to modify a MK-II magazine to feed the shorts. An interesting idea, I wonder if someone has already solved this problem, and we just haven't heard about it?

I know Volquartsen makes a .22 short conversion for the 10/22. It has a lightened bolt, lighter spring, and a modified rotary magazine. They also do work on pistols, mabey they make one?

volquartsen no longer make a 22 short conversion a asked them about 9 months ago . I to would like a Mark II in 22 short.

Thank you

I recently purchased a Ruger Mk II target and I thank you for answering this question as 22 shorts are generally quieter than long rifle rounds are.. It is nice to know that they will work on a limited basis.

Work as single loaded, fine.

Cycle the action? Maybe. Depends on the gun and the specific ammo.

Feed from the box magazine? maybe, a few, most often, not, again depends on the gun as much as anything.

Box magazines are notorious for not feeding well with rounds too short, or too long (and really too long won't even fit)

Winchester, and some others had tube magazine rifles that would feed short, longs, and Long rifles, interchangeably. Levers, pump, and even semi autos (though the semi was not listed as being able to use shorts).

Altering a box magazine to feed a shorter round is fairly simple when you're dealing with rimless cartridges, a spacer blocking off some of the magazine box length will usually be all that's needed.

Rimmed cases, such as the .22rf which need a box mag with a fairly steep slope in it, make the process much more complicated. rounds have to stack at a sloped angle to avoid rimlock, and this may put the shorter round out of position for the regular feed lips, requiring alteration that may, or may not be practical, or easily done.

22 shorts are generally quieter than long rifle rounds are.

There are so many choices in LR that I think you can find something quiet enough without having to modify the gun or fire it in "pump action."

And ISSF no longer allows Shorts in the Rapid Fire match, probably why Volquartsen et al no longer bother.

They work really well suppressed. Don’t bank on action cycling. Might have to treat it like a Welrod, single load each shell, but dang is it ever so quiet!

Anyone know if .22 short rounds will run through the Ruger Mark II?

Is it safe?
Will it cycle the action?
etc..

I see I'm not the only one to have tried it.

Will not cycle. Won't feed from the magazine. Will fire singly fed into the chamber.

I ran 22 Long length CB caps through mine. I had to manually cycle the action, and more than 4 rounds in a magazine would not feed properly.

Shooting shorts and CB caps is a hoot, but you can't really do it well through an automatic.

Old old gunzine article, probably not feasible now, but interesting.
Back then, High Standard made Short Shooters, some for plinking, some for ISU RF.

This guy thought he could do better; he used the HS aluminum Short slide and the Short magazine; but a LR barrel, figuring that the faster twist would outweigh the longer chamber.

He heavily beveled off the top right corner of the slide face and the barrel breech so the empties would clear better and avoid stovepipes.

He drilled and tapped a row of holes down the top of the barrel, not so much for recoil control as to tune for ammo. All holes open, ordinary Shorts, some holes plugged for match Shorts, the number depending on the ammo. All holes plugged, the gun would function with CB Short.

Back