.22 scope sighting question

Prothe2nd

I have a savage model 64 that I'm about to scope. And I know for sure on the rareness of .22 ammo, I will be putting all different types and grains through it. But just wandering, if I sight it in with say, 36 grain ammo, will it still be accurate if I put 45 grain ammo through it without having to adjust the sights? Or should I scope it in with the 45 grain and it works the other way around. Or a grain in the middle, like 40 grain?

22LR is not hard to come by. Most 22LR bullets are 40 gr. Sight it in with 40 gr and just shoot that.

If I sighted it in with forty grain, how accurate would it be with 36 grain or 45 grain? I think 36 grain would have a slight drop, while 45 would have a slight hop up. Am I right or no?

You should sight your gun in with the ammo you have . If you change ammo start over again .

If you try a few different brands of ammo , you will see that your gun will like some brands better than others . My groups vary from over 2" to under 1/2" groups at 50 yards just by changing brands of ammo .

No one answered your question directly, so I will. If you sight in with ammo XX, then shoot something with a different bullet weight and/or velocity.....NO, the rifle will not shoot to the same point of aim. As to HOW MUCH off it will be - that depends - no prediction will be accurate (could be 1", could be 3", etc.).

In addition, .22 rimfire ammo has another built-in conundrum. Standard velocity ammo, which is considered less than 1100 fps.....and high velocity ammo, more than 1100 fps (usually, something over 1200). These will shoot to wildly different points of impact. High velocity rimfire is almost never as accurate as standard velocity, as well.

There is actually a THIRD issue, as well. That is ammo quality, that is, CONSISTENCY. The low quality, cheapo high velocity .22 rimfire ammo will produce fliers all over the place, because it is NOT consistent. High quality, standard velocity .22 rimfire ammo is (relatively) expensive, though still not as expensive as centerfire ammo.

So, combining the different bullet weight issue with the standard vs. high velocity issue, plus the ammo quality issue, makes for a hodge-podge of ammo.....which will vary, in terms of accuracy and point of impact....all over the place.

The only solution - since you can't hand load .22 rimfire - is to experiment and find the ammo YOUR rifle likes best - then STICK with THAT ammo. So, that is what I recommend - STRONGLY. Once you find what your rifle likes, stock up !

Thanks wpsdlrg. I think I've found it. I havant had a single jam or problem with American eagle 40 grain round nose. But I still mostly use cci. The thing is, cci ammo will tend to jam in my gun.

Semi-auto .22's (I guess that's what you have).....are like that. All I shoot are bolt actions, whatever caliber. My current rimfire is a CZ 452 Lux.

My 452 likes CCI standard velocity very much. Almost as accurate as proper match ammo, but not quite. It also likes Norma Tac. For matches, I found a particular lot of Eley "Team" (which is out of production), that shoots almost 1 ragged hole at 100 yards. It definitely shoots 1 hole groups at 50 yds - and that is the distance used for the bench rest matches. So I plan on hoarding that stuff like gold.

Low velocity ammo can cause some semi auto .22's to jam , my Marlin 60 will sometimes jam shooting low velocity match ammo , Wolf Match @ 1050 fps . It never jams on high velocity ammo , CCI mini mags @ 1235 fps . My Ruger 10/22 shoots it just fine .

I am going squirrel hunting this Saturday . I sighted in my 60 with CCI SGB ammo @1235 fps . It shoots just under 1" groups @ 50 yds. . I get under 1/2" groups with the Wolf Match ammo , but I don't have much of it and it does jam sometime .

"if I sight it in with say, 36 grain ammo, will it still be accurate if I put 45 grain ammo through it without having to adjust the sights?"

Accuracy has nothing to do with point of impact. I currently use 3 different 22's-each of which requires a different ammo for best accuracy.

At plinking ranges, I really don't notice much difference in POI between 36 grain HVHP and 40 grain HVRN. I have noticed a change at 40-50 yards when switching from HV to standard velocity and usually a significant change in POI with sub-sonic/low noise/reduced velocity ammo.

No different than any other rifle. If you change weight or brand of ammo poi is going to be different.

You can buy eley .22 ammo in bulk from HQ military surplus magazine. It shoots pretty good, but when I ran out I didn't bother to reorder and bought some random.22 from around local. Anyway, thanks for all the responses you guys gave me the info I needed.

How scarce ammo availability is depends on your location.

If you can buy a few boxes of random take one target with multiple sections on it and shoot a pattern in different sections and label them.

I have one gun that seems to shoot everything the same except for subsonic. The others do what they want but I have a target that shows how each reacts.

That's exactly my problem. Here where I am there's only one gun shop that sells .22 ammo, and they sell only what they can scrap together. I have armscore hollow points, Remington subsonic, Remington gold, cci minimag, American eagle round nose, and American eagle subsonic. And only about a hundred rounds of each. Sticking to one type only is not an option I have. .22 is scarce as far as my knowledge and area goes.

Most of the time with different brands of ammo, see what brand groups best & adjust from there. When your rifle likes a certain brand you stick with it. In your circumstance you have to make the best of what is on hand. Can you order from MidwayUSA or other on line dealers. Try High & Standard Velocity, sight in at 50 yards. Different brands will group better, but at that distance they all should be in the ballpark.

I guess I'm going to scope my rifle in with 40 grain. And figure out where to hold when shooting higher and lower grain ammo. I'm sure there'll be a slight drop and raise with different grains.

I guess I'm going to scope my rifle in with 40 grain. And figure out where to hold when shooting higher and lower grain ammo. I'm sure there'll be a slight drop and raise with different grains.

Not only will the elevation likely change, but also probably the windage.

Gee, my M60 loves CCI standards.

Have tried WIn HI_VEL and groups opened up and hit higher than the CCI POI.

basically, the higher velocity tend to shoot flatter but chaning bullet weight will change impact.

Find what gives you the best grouping at the range you 're shooting.

Recently, asked CCI about "point-blank" for squirrel hunting and responsen was to sight-in @ 25yds and same-zero impact occurs at 37yds.

Sighted in last Saturday, but the weather and work conspires to keep me from getting practical results.

Back