.22 rimfire groups

rlgarman

Why do .22 rimfire groups go to hell after 50 yards? With several different .22's I have, I may get 1" 5shot groups at 50yds, but at 100yds, they shoot 4" at best. Wind speed 0 and a good sand bag rest and a 3x9 scope.

It has a lot to do with consistancy and stablity. The light, roundnose, realitively slow bullet can't be expected to perform like a fast, pointed .22-250 can. While some shooters enjoy decent accuracy from a factory .22 rifle and bulk ammo, if you really want a tackdriver you're probably going to have to get a match barrel, and use high quality match ammo. We just can't expect too much from a mass produced, 2 cent round. Ever pull the bullet off of a .22? Often, they are enough out of balance on the tail end to explain your problem. Try different brands, and a box or two of "good stuff". You may be suprised that your barrels each "like" something different.

------------------
The Bible is my lawbook. I turn the other cheek when applicable, and spend the rest of my days resisting evil at every front, until I have breathed my last breath.

One of the very key factors in getting good groups at 100y is bench consistancy. If you think about it, the dwell time of a .22 bullet in your barrel is about three times as long as most centerfires. If you don't exagerate your follow through, you may not get the results your rifle is capable of. A neat trick that I picked up in Rifle magazine is to watch your crosshairs. If they end up at the same place after each shot, you are controlling the rifle well. If after the shot the crosshairs are not consistantly coming to rest at the same spot, you may need to adjust your position and pay more attention to your follow through.

Giz

------------------
"I don't make enough money to buy cheap stuff" - Mark Manning

rl - If you get consistent 1" groups at 50 yds then that would suggest you should get 2" groups at 100 yds as you probably surmised. I think the culprit is that old nemesis - the ballistic coefficient. And like fastforty said, stability. In general most .22 bullets have a very low BC and will become unstable after a relatively short flight. Another factor is their speed. High Vel .22s travel faster than the speed of sound, but might be crossing the barrier as they loose velocity which adds a little tweek to the instability. I wouldn't be surprised if you found that point somewhere between 50 and 100 yds.

[This message has been edited by Mal H (edited January 23, 2000).]

Rigarman:
Have you taken the time to "marry" the ammo to the gun? Or do you use just what is available.

In testing many many rifles and ammuniton for rifles & pistols ammunition does not act the same in each gun. I have taken match ammo from the bench @50 yds and had 4 to 5" grounps, in one gun and a "one holer" in another gun. The same goes for standard ammunition.

It may take awhile, and the expense to get the "marriage" right, but it can be worth it.

Before you discredit the gun, "Marry" the ammo.

HJN

Listen to what the people are saying, find what ammo your rifle likes best, and stick with it.
All my .22s love CCI Minimags and hate Federal Hi-Power except ONE! I can consistantly get 1" or better groups at 100 yds using Federals in my AP-74.
I haven't figured out why, but for some reason it works!

------------------
Screw the Anti's!!

Back