.22 rifle suggestions

cwalker3

I'm thinking about getting a .22 for plinking, small game etc. Have looked at the Ruger 10/22 and the Marlin 60ss. So far haven't been able to make up my mind. I'd like to stay under $200, so that leaves out the lever-actions that I think I'm getting addicted to.
Any help/suggestions would be appreciated.

i went with the 60SS because of the 17 rounds of 22lr in the tube magazine that is inline with the barrell

nothing projects under the forearm

the ruger is a 10 round rotary mag that is also flush to the stock

the Marlin give me 7 more shots incase the squirrels get me pined down

the only oddity with the marlin is the plastic trigger guard

dZ

Well, i have an old Marlin 99. It shoots great! But, the 10/22 has so many aftermarket goodies that it can be a really fun rifle to own. Take a look at both a Marlin and the 10/22 in person. Then pick the one you think you will enjoy the most. Plus, you will shoot better if you thik the rifle is more accurate -- so pick the more accurate one to start with. I have heard some bad reports of accuracy on the 10/22 at 50 yds. But hey, with 10 shots...who cares?? Uhhh, I do! If you are going hunting with the new rifle and if you get a 10/22, get a new barrel and stock first. Also, check out on putting a trigger job on. Marlin makes a good rifle. Parts are available.... I am am Marlin guy myself, so I say go with a Marlin. Overall, outta the box, I think Marlin is more accurate. But I really don't know much about the 60ss. Just take a good look at both rifles and pick the one you like best.

Hueco

I agree with dg to go to the 10/22. There are so many aftermarket parts for it you can turn it into anything. Super-accurate goodies can be had for it for a reasonable price.

Excuse me, it was Hueco who said that. :-)

------------------
"Those that give up essential liberties for a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety."

My recommendation to you is go ahead and get the 10/22. But...budget in the accurizing accessories. IMO, you need a new heavy barrel, a new stock, and a trigger job. After these treatments, the rifle will be a very good one. Good luck!

Hueco
Merry Christmas

P.S. Thanks for the back-watching there Anthony!

I have a 10/22 sporter model with the walnut stock and longer barrel than the standard model. The barrel is fine on this rifle, but the trigger is pure garbage. The trigger is the only thing I would upgrade on the rifle. I have had it for about 12 years and still haven't gotten around to the trigger, but I shoot .22 pistol a lot more than rifle.

Seen plenty of shot out Marlins, but not a single shot out 10-22. In either case, the weapon needs trigger work big time.

I'd suggest a 4x quality, centerfire scope. The little stuff isn't as clear and oft breaks PDQ....

Go with the Marlin - No accessories, but accuracy is there!

I frequently speak of the time I had both a Marlin 60 and a 10/22 out with 2 new shooters. Who ever had the Marlin was laughin at the one with the Ruger... The Marlin user was whippin on the cans and moving them before the ruger user could get the can... Very interesting study...

Have had a couple of Marlins and Rugers over the years... I will stick with the silly tube fed Marlin.

Don't think you'll be making a mistake with either the Ruger or the Marlin, but I'd have to recommend the Ruger. Lots of accessories, hi-cap magazines can still be found, and as far as accuracy goes...my 10/22 will hit beer cans at 100 yards every time the trigger is pulled. And the only modification is a 4X scope. That's plenty accurate for me! I've also shot the Marlin, and it too is a sweet shooting little rifle.

Sic semper tyrannis

freedomlover

by the time you upgraded the Ruger with all those acessories you are getting close to the price on the Remington...

one of the cheapest semis is the Model 60 with a 4x scope
118 bucks at the kmart
they had a sale 2 weeks ago and had it for 99 bucks!

i saw the same gun at a big distributer in PA
the price was 114 without the scope

but what i found at the distributer (Grice Guns in Clearfield) was the 60 SS for 159!
My local DC shops wanted 225 for the 60ss.
sweet!

and Kmart has yet to call about the rain check on the model 60

dZ

I have shot several 22's including a Rem. 597, a Savage bolt action, and a Marlin. I bought a Ruger 10/22 because it was a better rifle out of the box than any of these others for only $120. And for $250 more in accessories(bull barrel, Hogue stock, nice scope, 25 round Butler Creek mag), you have a serious competition rifle that will compete with very expensive rifles. Plus they look badass. DENT GUY

[This message has been edited by dent guy (edited December 14, 1999).]

Back