.22 revolvers

RHC

Is there a .22 revolver than can handle
the three .22 rounds, short, long and LR?
It would be pretty handy to have.

And if there is such an animal, is there
also one that can handle .22 magnums and LR?

I believe that Taurus 94,RugerSP101 and S&W .22cal revolvers will all shoot shorts,longs and long rifle.... Ruger Singles will also, plus supply you with an easily changed .22 magnum cylinder...I am not aware of any one revolver on the market that will shoot all .22 cal. thru the same cylinder.

Any revolver chambered in .22 LR will also digest Longs and Shorts. You will have the same cleaning concerns that you would have in shooting a .38Spl in a .357 chamber, that is, some crud will build up in the chamber. You will have to scrub it out before you can comfortably load the longer case. This is only a concern when shooting Shorts, as the Longs have the same case length. The Magnum is SLIGHTLY wider, to prevent it from being chambered in a sloppy LR chamber. Several makers (Notably Ruger) offer SA revolvers with a spare cylinder for Magnums. I have heard tell of folks who have had custom fitted cylinders for S&W revos in Magnum to go with their LR cylinders. It's much more of a chore to change those out than it is a Ruger Single Six.

The magnums use a larger diameter bullet than .22 LR.
Any revolver bored for magnums will not shoot .22 LR etc as accurately as one bored for .22.
You're better off having two revolvers, one for .22 and one for .22 mag.

Can't imagine a better buy that's more fun to shoot than my Ruger Super Single Six! With its 2 cylinders it eats, digests and spits out anything I feed to it with 100% reliability, darn good accuracy and of course great dignity and style. :) Dennis

Heritage arms makes a ruger sngl 6 wannabe.
The quality is not as good, but they shoot well.
My friend has one and has put tons of round through it.
.22lr, .22l, and .22shorts.
It also comes with a .22 mag cylinder.

Back