.22 Revolver

Inexpensive- H&R.

Good, but a bit more- Dan Wesson.

Great, but somewhat hard to find, and somewhat expensive when you do find them- Smith and Wesson model 17 or 18.

Not worth the money (IMHO, your MMV)- The new 617 S&* 10 shot.

One more, great gun, but price lately is out of all reasonalble areas.

Colt Diamondback.

I use two five screw, pre-model number, S&W's, a Masterpiece and a Combat Masterpiece. But they're not for sale either.

If you can find one Dan Wesson .22s are great shooters and usually bargains compared to the asking prices of Smiths and Colts.
Another option is a Ruger Single Six. These little single actions are a lot of fun to shoot.
Take Care

There's always the Ruger Bearcat. You don't see them often but they are cute little boogers. :)

Saw a used S&W 22 stainless 22 Mag for $225 at Traders in San Leandro, Calif. Excellant price, but I have enough 22s and my next gun is going to be another black powder rifle.

Re: .22 magnums

I've been "fooled" lotsa times by some very pristine looking .22 magnums w/very attractive prices. The .22 mag is a great little in between round, but awfully expensive compared to reloading say a .38 special or shooting the .22lr.

Still, the price on some of them is veeeeeeery hard to resist.

My wife decided she wanted one last month, and I was lucky enough to find her a LNIB S&W 34-1 j-frame for $295. It's a sweetie. Good luck!

Neither of these pistols is inexpensive (probably $275-$325), but Ruger makes a small frame revolver in .22LR, and Taurus (the link has not been working for the last few days) has introduced the Tracker in .22LR. Taurus also has the M94. Davidson's has some information on the Taurus models.

There's cheap, and then there's inexpensive. I'd go for a Ruger SP-101 in .22LR. Strong as hell, and is the only revolver that can be field stripped for cleaning. Made of stainless steel and usually shoots accurately. Also Ruger has a fantastic reputation for service and repair.
Later, if you want a good defense revolver, the .22 is a good practice/trainer for the .38 or .357 mag SP-101.

Just a 2nd vote for a USED S&W 34-i. Very accurate, adjustable sights, S&W quality. They may be a bit more than others (I have never seen a decent one below $250) but they are sweet shooters.

Back