.22 questions: Walther TPH, Bersa Thunder 22, FEG MkII

mept

I am looking for a 22LR handgun to take to the range with my M40 and Rugar 10/22.
Has anybody tried/owned one of these?
Strickly looking for something in 22LR which would be of the walther style, any similar models out there which I might like? Thanks for anyinput.

Look at the Ruger MKII. It is not a Walther style(as much as I love Walthers), but is styled in the fine LUGER tradition. Good accurate weapon. :)

------------------
Just as there is no such thing as too much fun,
there is no such thing as owning just one gun!!!

Now, go do the right thing, and buy that Walther!!

Hello Mept! The TPH is a smallish handgun as I'm sure you know, while the FEG and Bersa are larger. I had one American-made TPH and it never fired an entire magazine of any make .22lr without at least one malfunction. Because of its size, I don't think you'd find the TPH as "good" for the range as either of the other two pistols. I've never owned or even fired an FEG in .22lr. I did own a Bersa in .22lr and had no complaints although the gun would function only with the hyper-velocity stuff like Stingers for the first 500 rnds or so. The Bersa is somewhat like a Walther in appearance. This gun's sights were dead on for me and the trigger was usable right out of the box. So, if I had to recommend right now, I'd go with the Bersa. Best and good luck.

Why not look for one of the other Walthers. PPK or PPK/S in .22? I had the same experience with a TPH as Mr. Camp - Have never gone through a complete magazine without some malfunction. Although I do understand that the TPH of European manufacture has a much better reputation for reliability.

------------------
Jim Fox

I've never fired an FEG mk2 but I have a centerfire AP9/Pa63 in 380.

Fit and finish are not as good as walther, but the gun should function flawlessly. Isuggest you take a close look at all the features.. size, ergonomics, capacity, price, sights, grips, etc in person and make your decision then.

I've thought about buying a 22 FEG for "training" new shooters.. but I think my Ruger mk2 is better suited for that.

Dr.Rob

I have a .22LR Walther TPH. In general it is an excelent pistol, amazingly accurate for its small size but it is ammunntion sensitive. It seems to require high velocity .22LR cartridges. If you get one you shoukd try several brands of .22LR high velocity cartridges, find one that your pistol likes and stick with it.

I had a Bersa Thunder 22. Cute but not accurate. Dumped it on a friendly dealer as a trade-in. Pot metal. One in the rentals came back after a shooter broke the safety by pushing it up.

I quickly traded mine after that.

Check out the Astra Constables in 22lr. Well built, PPK clones and good metal just make sure you have or buy at least 4 mags with it. No longer produced. May have to buy it used.

------------------
The Seattle SharpShooter
If it can't shoot jacketed rat turds powered by mouse farts, I ain't gonna shoot it!

I must be lucky. My US made TPH is a great little gun. I've had this one about 8 years. It doesn't function well with Federal ammo, but has handled everything else I've fed to it (Remington, CCI, Winchester) without a single malfunction.
I did have a problem with the plastic magazine floor plates cracking and had a couple made from aluminum. That is the only problem I've ever had with it.
It is a very accurate, reliable gun. I replaced my S&W .22 kit gun with it since the Walther is more accurate and easier to carry.
I use it for trapping and carry it when I'm hunting deer in case a finishing shot is needed.
I'd highly recommend one.

Was not aware that the FEG comes in .22--I have the .380 and like it a lot. Accurate and reliable and economical. In fact, I bought a 2nd FEG (Hi-Power clone) based on the success of the .380. So I'm a fan. If you get the FEG in .22, I think you'll find it a good value.

Back