22 pistol for future competition

longhollow

Inactive
Hi Folks,

Like the rest of you I'm getting nailed by the higher cost of ammo.

Considering shooting more .22 and getting into some of the available pistol competitions.

What are most of the shooters using nowadays in competitions like Steel Challenge?

Suggested barrel length?

Thanks!

I'm not familiar with that style of match. I'd be inclined to just show up to one and ask questions there (or google up some pictures of a match).

for shooting steel..most will do well..many people choose guns that are similar to their main gun.

so you will see STI/SV/1911 guns with Marvel uppers or the new Tactical Solutions upper.

also will see Ruger 22/45 with a Tactical Solutions upper or Browning Buckmarks with Tactical Solutions barrel.

locally see a lot of Marvels and Glock with the Advantage arms upper .

I just started playing with a CZ Kadet. its a bit heavier, but so far has been accurate for action games and reliable.
I've converted to a single action trigger and 2# trigger job. also rib has been drilled for a scope rail, so I may play with a dot later on.

_kadet00A0049.jpg

I use a model 41 S&W but I see a lot of the conversion kits and a few Rugers wearing tactical solutions aftermarket barrels. I like my 41 since it's very accurate out of the box but you could do well with any 22 that is reliable and accurate. Buckmarks can fit the bill as well.. I shot a slab side Buck Mark for a while but sold it when I picked up the model 41.

Its been a while since I shot Steel Challenge, but I shot a Ruger MKII. I would think about any will work, shoot what you got.

Get enough mags so you don't have to reload on the line. If I remember right it was the best four out of five strings, so six mags or more would be nice.

Steel Challange 22's

I read the replies and felt that maybe I could add a little something for you. At the last steel challange I attended, I saw two Browning Buckmarks fail to feed. Thier owners were out of the game. I don't know if this is a common problems with them. Many shooters like the Ruger Mk11 or newer 22/45. I shoot a Kimber conversion on my 45 frame. It is one hole accurate at 12 yards, never fails to feed and the extra clips are available and not too expensive. You will need a total of 5 clips for your 22.
I noticed that there is also a 22 conversion for the Browning High Power and it is made by the Ciener company. Essentially, it is the same as the Kimber, a fine quialty unit. There are others but some are very pricey.
Any semi auto 22 pistol that fits your hands and points well for you will work. You need to make sure you can get extra clips for it. I like a 36 grain 22 bullet in a high preformance brand. The stouter ammo seems to ring the steel better and feed in most autos reliably.
I am sure there are many quality choices when it comes to a 22 semi auto pistol. Shoot what feels good to you and fits your budget. You may want to go to an indoor shooting range and try a few in order to see which one you like.
Good luck out there.

eerw: Nice gun

I've considered doing the same thing. Another comp you might consider is USPSA in .22 cal if you have it available in your area.
I'm considering eerw's set-up for my CZ75B = 4 3/4" bbl
I like 5" for .22

My Buckmark 5.5 Target has been dead nuts reliable from day one. It's had less problems than my 41. Not to say the 41 is not a great pistol because it is. I shoot indoor Bulls eye in the winter and even though the range is heated, the ammo still gets cold and doesn't always function the pistol 100 % of the time. Sometimes I hold a couple of mags in front of the heater for a few minutes beforere shooting for record. No problems during other times of the year with CCI Standard 22.

Back