.22 or Pellet, to start my 11yr old with?

915A

So my 11y old daughter has been asking about shooting, and obviously that makes me proud. I want to teach her Safety and Proper handling first then show her how shoot. Should I start with a pellet gun or just go right for a .22 pistol or rifle?

What do you currently have? Do you have a pellet rifle, or .22 rifle? Either way, I would start with a long arm before going to a pistol.

What do you currently have? Do you have a pellet rifle, or .22 rifle? Either way, I would start with a long arm before going to a pistol.

Pilot, I currently have neither but would have no issues picking one up. Suggestions?

A "pellet rifle" covers a lot of ground both performance and price wise. A good pellet rifle will cost as much as one of the low end 22's but a low end pellet rifle will be a cheap way to start. Pellets are cheaper than 22 ammo. The downside of many pellet rifles is that the child isn't strong enough to cock/pump the system. My experience is the kid gets bored waiting for you to cock and load the pellet gun.
If you have neither, I'd suggest looking at one of the lower powered rifles with a short stock like the Red Ryder. It won't be long before kiddo can handle it alone and at short range it's accurate enough. Not as likely to cause serious harm should an "accident" occur, either. My Grandson started with a similar gun shooting BB's at 15'.

It depends on the maturity of the child. However a .22 would be a good first gun.

My first gun was a 20 gauge shotgun which I got when I was 13.

With ammo supplies being what they are, you'll get more trigger time with a pellet gun than a .22, so teaching fundamentals will likely be easier with the pellet gun these days...

If you have a pellet gun, it is a great first gun on which kids can learn all the safety habits.

I started by then 10 year old son on a pellet pistol - single shot. Mostly, because I didn't own a pellet rifle. We were very deliberate about THE FOUR RULES, and we started out in my father-in-laws back lot (3 acres). Once he was comfortable with the basics operation of the pistol and had decent safety habits (still needed a reminder on occasion, but wasn't ever unsafe), we started going to the range. This way, he was hearing other big bangs, but still not holding the big bang. Once, the noise was familiar to him and his fundamentals were getting good, we graduated to a single shot .22 rifle, and by the time he was 11, he received his first gun (Ruger 10/22) for his birthday.

He shoots well today, pistol or rifle, and has excellent fundamentals (he occasionally has lapses in disipline with the trigger that open his groups up a little). We have gone shooting with other experienced adults, and he frequently shoots better than they do. We are working on the shotgun sports now.

I would go with a 22LR.
I think a 22LR rifle has more of a "grown up" firearm feel than a pellet rifle.
==
My girlfriend and I started her left handed boy when he was 8 years old with my right hand .22LR bolt action. It was too big for him. He did not shoot often and was plenty happy to use mine.

This past Christmas, at age 10, he got a 22LR Marlin 795 semi-auto ($135). It was to be a project rifle -- cutting the stock, selecting the butt pad, painting it the camouflage, and setting up the scope. He drove the schedule of the build which took approx a month and a half (no work on school nights). He enjoyed every part of making the rifle "His" especially searching for the butt pad (old flip flop) in the garage and the painting.

Main goal was for him to enjoy; second goal to learn responsibility; third was to learn the basics of shooting. Of course, safety was always in mind.

He seldom goes shooting (3x time this summer) but when he does, he shoots "His" rifle. Once in a while, when he sees me cleaning my guns, he would asks to take his out of the safe just to hold for a minute or two.
==
I think that by next summer, it will need a thicker pad to lengthen the pull.
==

I believe that all the comments so far are excellent and each one has merit. In my case, I started all my children on BB/pellet guns but quickly moved on to .22's and 410 shotguns. Now the grandkids have all gone the same route and are currently shooting everything from 22's to high-powed rifles and 12 gauge shotguns. With 7 grandchildren ranging from 10 to 21, I have a bunch of hunters in the family. Venison is usually in everyone's freezers in November.

I started my 10 (now 11) year old daughter out with my m&p 22 pistol and she had no problem getting the hang of that right off. After our first session we took a safety class offered at the local range and I'm sure to review the rules with her each trip to the range. She prefers the pistol over the rifle.

With proper supervision, either is a fine choice. Many of the better single stroke pellet rifles are difficult for young folks to cock, thus a single shot .22 would be easier for them to operate. Safety rules are the same for both, as are the shooting techniques used. Might be easier and cheaper right now to find pellets tho, as opposed to .22 ammo.

I really like the idea of using BB/pellet lower power air rifles for training, and then graduating to a "real" gun after safe handling in the field has been demonstrated. In a sport where one mistake can be lethal, the consequences of a mistake during training with a Daisy Red Ryder will most likely be far less.

Since this was posted in the handgun section, don't forget all the very realistic airsoft pistols that work exactly like the real thing.
So much so, that many are licensed copies of the real thing.
Some shoot like .22s in every way.

I learned on a BB/pellet rifle, and after a certain amount of training, I was allowed to practice on my own without the worry of really harming anything or anyone. That's where I would start her, and maybe also pick up a .22 rifle for strictly supervised training when she is ready.

I learned on a .177 Benjamin pump

I'd opt for the .22 though. You never outgrow a .22
The ruger 10-22 is one that has aftermarket goodies to optimize her shooting experience.

If you have easy access to a range or place to shoot .22, I would NORMALLY recommend that. However, since .22 ammo is currently very hard to find (at least where I live), I would seriously consider a pellet rifle. You don't have to spend a bundle for a decent one, and ammo is cheaper and easier to find.

If a break barrel is too hard for the youngster to cock, there are other types like co2. The main thing is do your research and get one with a decent trigger.

My girls all started with .22s. My youngest is getting her .22 this year. All of the rifles are Cricket .22s. Those are great rifles for what they are.

I'd say pellet gun first... This gives time for father/kid gun safety, and responsibility chat. Its also far less of a problem if he has an accident, or who knows what...

Back