.22 Match Ammo

F23Blackwidow2

I'm looking into putting together a budget compitition .22. I plan on getting a Savage MkII FV (If I can find one in stock) and putting a target stock on it. But I degress.

What's the best starter target/long range .22 round? I know Eley is real good, but the price is REALLY high (budget remember :)) and I don't want to pay $100 for a box of 500. I have also heard Augila Super Extra and Super Match are good. Any suggestions?

Also, could you please tell me where I can find the stuff, because the stores around me just have federal bulk, Remington golden, and other stuff like that.

Thanks,
Ken

You might try this ammo, that's a 5 shot group at 50 yards, admittedly shot in an indoor range but I was testing the accuracy of various brands of ammo, not my ability to read crosswinds.

088.jpg

Good quality standard velocity .22's are not going to be cheap. Lower grades of Eley [Club, Target,Sport] are good choices as is Wolf.
RWS 'Target' or SK Jagd 'Rifle Match' will probably outshoot anything domestic except maybe Federal '711'. With the run on .22's these days I can't say if any are available.
Try www.champchoice.com orwww.creedmoresports.com

I tested a bunch .22's one time through a model 52 winchester once with a 24 power Redfield on it. The winchester standard velocity proved to outshoot even the Eley in that rifle.

It doesn't hurt to give bargain ammo an honest try. You may be pleasantly surprised.

I've found that CCI Blazer gives the best 50yd groups from both my Marlins, 880SQ and 7000T. It surprisingly beats several kinds of standard velocity ammo including CCI Green tag and three flavors of cheaper Eley ammo.

test then know

YOUR gun will not know the cost, brand, or reputation of its ammo.

I suggest starting at the bottom of the price ladder, and working your way upward in price until your personal performance goals are met.

Things to try:

Federal Automatch
Federal Gold Medal Match
Aguila Eley Prime Club
Aguila Eley Prime Match
Wolf Match
Federal Champion Target

Some are pricier than others. Good luck.

Jimro

The US Olympic Team has learned that some lots of Eley Match (black box) shoots as accurate as Eley Tenex.

I think you need to shoot 20-shot groups with rimfire ammo testing for accuracy. With all the variables in ammo as well as having to hold the rifle still near 3 times as long as a high power rifle after the firing pin smacks the case, few-shot groups don't tell much with .22 long rifle ammo.

The amount of torque on the stock screws also makes a difference. Try different amount of inch-pounds of torque and see what happens. Most bolt action rifles seem to do best with between 20 and 30 inch pounds of torque. And the barrel has to be totally free floating.

I have heard a lot of good things about Wolf match ammo. I will definitely try it out. For testing, should I clean the barrel after each ammo, or does it matter? Thanks,
Ken

you really need to let the gun tell you what it wants.

I have a good rifle that is very picky about what it wants, (wolf is one it like in most lots), and a cheaper rifle that will shoot any standard velocity very well.

The great thing about finding the correct ammo for your rifle is all the shooting you do. The shooting will help you learn the disciple you choose.

I've found that CCI Blazer gives the best 50yd groups from both my Marlins, 880SQ and 7000T. It surprisingly beats several kinds of standard velocity ammo including CCI Green tag and three flavors of cheaper Eley ammo.

I agree,.. The CCI Blazer gave me tighter group averages when I compared them to CCI SV. But then again, this is out of a semi-auto non match reamed carbine ruger 1022:rolleyes:

Last edited:
100.00 for a brick of Target/Match .22lr ammo is actually in the low to mid range price. WolfMatch, n Fiocchi SM are some of the lower priced...... atleast of what I've purchased before the whole ammo crisis started:cool:
Use to get a brick of Wolf match for 65.00 a brick at the gunshow, and Fiocchi SM320 for about 8.00 per 50pk at Big Five.

If you want quality ammo, you gotta pay for it just like we did in the "good ol' days".

$100 in 2013 = $15.75 in 1969 adjusted for inflation.
Now it doesn't seem that expensive anymore.

I haven't shot groups with it, but my 10/22 seems to like Federal Automatch. I happened upon some a few weeks ago and grabbed it for $17.95 for 325 rds, and shot a steel match with it. My 10/22 was sighted in with mini mags, but it hit steel with every shot I didn't screw up (missed twice out of 40). Eventually I'll get around to putting shots on paper with them.

Back