22 magnum shot shells

Prof Young

Took the three guns I own that shoot a 22 magnum to the range today and tested some CCI shot shells. At five feet these were the results.

NAA Black Widow with a two inch barrel the spread was about 18 inches.

Heritage single action revolver 6.5 inch barrel the spread was about ten inches.

Savage 42 with 22 mag on time and 410 under with 20 inch barrel the spread was about five inches.

Just thought you all would enjoy knowing that.

Life is good.

Prof Young

Do any testing on penetration also?

I had a .22 lr derringer (2 inch barrel? - never measured it)that had - ahem - very subtle rifling - that I used for dispatching snakes that got tangled up in the tractor blades in Spring when the grass got real long.

A shot shell at about a foot away was enough to stun a snake into not writhing around so much, but, not lethal. I had to pop them with a .22 short of CD cap to the head to kill them.

I'm thinking very hard about picking up an NAA in .22 mag to slip in my pocket when I ride my bike(bicycle) in some pretty deserted areas. I'm thinking it might to duty in my pocket on the tractor also.

No penetration studys. But . . .

No I didn't do any penetration study. Not sure how I'd do that. Don't have ready access to ballistic gel. Guess I could shoot a stack of magazines. May do that.

I used a lot of 22LR shot shells in my youth to shoot birds with a 22 bolt action, but the distance was limited and it usually took a knock em down shot and kill them off shot.

I knew a guy who kept a revolver loaded with shot shells in his work shop to dispatch the mice.

I really like my NAA Black Widow. Hard to shoot it accurately at much of a distance but it's a well made little pistol and lots of fun to shoot.

Life is good.
Prof Young

One of the gun writers, Mike Venturio I think, used potatoes to test shot loads. Seems reasonable to me, enough resistance to matter and the right size.

griz said:
One of the gun writers, Mike Venturio I think, used potatoes to test shot loads. Seems reasonable to me, enough resistance to matter and the right size.
But were they all of the same size? And were they calibrated, 10% ordnance potatoes? :)

.....I knew a guy who kept a revolver loaded with shot shells in his work shop to dispatch the mice.
Sure beats chasing them with a broom. I doubt a 22 shot shell would kill a rat. They are sometimes hard to kill with a regular 22. You hit them and they keep on going.

A shot string, regardless of the cartridge, out of a rifled barrel flies in a spiral. Sending the shot all over. The pattern diameters don't matter much when there are big holes in the pattern. Hence, the "a knock em down shot and kill them off shot."
CCI uses #12 shot. Their .22 Magnum has 52 grains(that's not a lot) of #12 shot at 1000 FPS. The pellets are 50 thou in diameter.

I still have that article from Handloader magazine in the attic. He sat the spuds on a cardboard box and stated if rested on a wood platform the shot would sometimes bounce back. The article caused me to order 10 pounds of #10 and 20 pounds of #12 shot. I still have a bunch left.

I like to load it in 32 mag cases and use it in a Ruger single six. I am not sure of the pattern since its shot bare without a shot capsule which helps with the hole in the center but these are some snake killing loads. And one shot is all you need.

I loaded 50 for my bud and he uses the same gun. It took him about a year to use 50 but he killed around 45 snakes with that one box of shot loads. I use .308 gas checks top and bottom but run them through a .313 sizer first. It makes them easier to get in the case.

Back