.22 Magnum for Turkey Hunting

pdt1793db

I was just wondering if any of you guys ever turkey hunt with the .22 magnum. This struck my fancy when I was looking through the hunting regulations and remembered I had a Ruger Single Six with a .22 magnum cylinder. I guess my question is how effective is the .22 magnum on turkey and what would be a good area to place the shot in?

Done it...Not w/ a revolver, but w/ a marlin rifle. Nailed it right in the head. 22 mag is well suited for turkey hunting. Make sure you use a hollow point if you intend on making a body shot. (I discourage that). You actually need to shoot them in the hip socket, or spinal column if you don't want them to run. The other option is right up the pooper when they turn away from you. Makes a pretty good bullseye.

I'm not entirely sure what your location is but Archery and Shotgun are the only legal methods of taking a Turkey in Missouri. Check local regulations

To quote TFL Member Scorch from a recent thread where this came up

The only state I know of that allows weapons other than shotguns for turkey is Montana. Most states dropped firearms other than shotguns for turkey back in the 1970s and 1980s.

I do remember watching a hunting program about 2 years ago where they were hunting Turkey with a 44 mag revolver. It was in Texas I think.

Mavrik

.22 magnum is fine for turkey. The best shot placement is at the base of the neck. This saves the meat and drops them nicely.
Worth

In Oklahoma, in the fall only, in *certain counties* only, a rifle is legal during the brief "Fall Turkey Gun" season. In those places, a .22 mag would be an excellent choice if you ask me. Won't tear up too much meat if you hit the breast.

In other counties in the fall, it's shotgun only, and in still other counties, there is no fall turkey gun season.

In the spring turkey season, it is shotgun only.

I've often wondered if a .223 rem with ball military ammo would kill a turkey well without tearing up the meat - by the time it starts tumbling, it's already through the breast.

Last edited:
Assuming it's legal in your state (you said you read the regs), a 22 mag handgun will work, but may not be the best option. Out of a 6" barrel, a 22 Mag has less velocity than a 22LR out of a rifle. In this case, I would definitely choose head shots to make sure the turkey isn't going anywhere, and limit the range to make sure your shot placement is good.

They are legal in TX for Rio's but you can't take an Eastern with one...HMMM:confused: Shotgun only for Easterns...I guess they figure western birds are smarter than the yankee birds and they are harder to get close too...:p Just kidding guys...I really don't know what the rationalization is for that. I'm not sure the state does either...Imagine that...

.22mag will work fine. .22LR will work fine if you hit the bird well. A .44mag will not work if you don't hit the bird well.

To quote TFL Member Scorch from a recent thread where this came up

Quote:
The only state I know of that allows weapons other than shotguns for turkey is Montana. Most states dropped firearms other than shotguns for turkey back in the 1970s and 1980s.

Scorch doesn't know what he's talking about. Most of my turkeys have been with a .38 Special or .357 mag. with cast bullets.

They are legal in TX for Rio's but you can't take an Eastern with one...HMMM Shotgun only for Easterns...I guess they figure western birds are smarter than the yankee birds and they are harder to get close too... Just kidding guys...I really don't know what the rationalization is for that. I'm not sure the state does either...Imagine that...

It can't be the old population density argument because they allow rifles for deer in those same counties.

ust wondering if any of you guys ever turkey hunt with the .22 magnum. This struck my fancy when I was looking through the hunting regulations and remembered I had a Ruger Single Six with a .22 magnum cylinder. I guess my question is how effective is the .22 magnum on turkey and what would be a good area to place the shot in?

When I originally read this I completely missed that the thought occurred that because of reading the local regulations.

Note to self: Don't respond to threads 5 min after waking up in the morning.

Personally I'd rather use a shotgun but it's not like I haven't been tempted dozens of times by turkeys walking around 20yrds away while I'm out deer hunting with my rifle.

Mavrik

Scorch doesn't know what he's talking about.
OK, I'll bite. I only said
The only state I know of that allows weapons other than shotguns for turkey is Montana.
Apparently there are others, I just know about the 11 western states I have hunted in. What state are you from? I'll add it to my list of states that allow pistols or rifles for turkey hunting. After I check the regs.

Rifles USED to be legal in PA, but I haven't checked their regs lately. Until they allow me to use a modern BP and my 742 I stay here to hunt. Still backwards in Amish country I guess. CB.

I have killed two gobblers with my Ruger Mini-14, taking head shots at under 30 yards. I know the .223 works ok, I have not used a .22 mag though.

Originally posted by Scorch
OK, I'll bite. I only said
Quote:
The only state I know of that allows weapons other than shotguns for turkey is Montana.
Apparently there are others, I just know about the 11 western states I have hunted in. What state are you from? I'll add it to my list of states that allow pistols or rifles for turkey hunting. After I check the regs.

Texas. There are some counties in East Texas that are limited to shotgun, bow, and crossbow only. This is for Eastern Turkey. The rest of the state is any legal method for Rio Grande Turkey.

Here is your link:
http://www.tpwd.state.tx.us/publications/nonpwdpubs/media/outdoor_annual_2007_2008.pdf

Check out page 54 for Means and Methods. Page 67 also refers to this. Bring an open sighted handgun or small caliber rifle next time you are in TX.

Apparently in OK you can use rifles as well at least part of the time in some areas.

Personally I'd rather use a shotgun but it's not like I haven't been tempted dozens of times by turkeys walking around 20yrds away while I'm out deer hunting with my rifle.

Mavrik

You won't be happy with the results. I know from experience. I thought a .454 would be ok because I didn't think a turkey would provide enough resistance to expand the bullets a lot and tear up the meat - was I ever wrong. I've seen them hit with .30-30 Managed Recoil rounds, .270 and .30-06 and the results were ugly. Picture a turkey with a hole big enough to put your fist ALL THE WAY THROUGH. If you can make a head shot or where the neck meets the body you'll be ok. I prefer smaller calibers like I said: .38 Special or .357 with hard cast bullets and moderate velocities, or .22mag. .38 Special factory 158gr. LRN loads work great.

Have fun.

My wifes father's idea of turkey hunting is waiting for a couple birds to line their necks up on plane with his 280. I know what you are thinkin'. I'd call BS too if I didn't enjoy the "ill gotten gains" chicken fried.

Last year PA was rifle legal for Turkey - and what an advantage it is. I'll tell you I have fallen asleep waiting for big, fat, toms to get into shotgun range. I would shoot the turkey in the head and prevent the hand to spur combat of strangling a wounded turkey (if he doesn't get away).

Back