.22 mag

tatters

Any preferences from 'yall in regards to a .22 mag? I will be in the market this spring. Recommendations?

------------------
Have a Twinkie, snappahead---Ford Fairlane

22 Magnum is a waste of money and serves no purpose. Stick with 22 long rifle or step up to 223. 22 Magnum is also expensive to operate, think more expensive than 223.

Robert

Personally, I have been investigating the Marlin 882SS. The target version has a thicker barrel. It is the 882SSV. All 882's are 7-shot clip-fed bolt actions. The 883/883SS/883SSV are all tubular magazines. The SS means all blued parts are stainless instead. The V means thicker barrel. But now that I heard the remark on the value of WMR, I think I agree. If you need extra range or velocity, step up to a .223. If not, then stay with the LR and save major money. Good luck

Hueco

You might be in an area where the extra bark and bite of the .223 round would be unappreciated. I'm often invited to hunt groundhogs on farms. Centerfire rifles are a bit of an overkill and could prove dangerous due to overpenetration or ricochette. Although I currently use a regular .22 round, the .22 mag could give me the extra range and punch to harvest a few more 'hogs.

Personally, I have a serious desire for the Ruger 77/22 Magnum Laminated Stainless Rifle. I get to visit the one at my local dealer almost every week. I'm sure they think I'm mad- asking to look at the same gun every week... It's not too heavy, not too light, varmint type stock, has a lovely matte "iron grey" finish on the stainless which I've been trying to duplicate (without success so far), and while the trigger might need work, I think it would be a real shooter.

If you're not a reloader, and you don't mind paying the premium, the .22 mag will serve you well.

I have a Marlin 883SS with a Bushnell 3-9x scope that can put 5 rounds in one hole at 50 yards with a solid benchrest with Winchester's 34 gr HP. Head shots are a must on squirrels. I accidentally hit one in the body and it was gutted for me. Head shots out to 75 yards or more are entirely possible with that setup, it's probably my favorite gun.

Green Dragon,
How's that stock holding up. It's the laminated one, right? It's a beautiful stock. I'm looking at the 882SSV. I like magazine fed rifles. The SSV doesn't have sights, so it's a dedicated scope rifle. I'm on the fence between 882SSV and the 882SS. (Sights incl.)

Will

I have old 3 screw ruger 22mag but it will also shoot Long rifle, so have the best of both. I rather like the power of the mag over the LR and with a nylon tip comming form remington its sound even better. You can buy federal 22mag with 50grain bullets and thats in 223 territory though minus the velocity.

Tatters-I have a Ruger 77/22, a Marlin 882SS, and just acquired a Grendel P30. I get a kick out of my 22 mag. I try to buy ammo in bulk at gun shows or when I find it on sale somewhere. It can be pretty reasonable to buy. I get very respectable accuracy out of my rifles and the Grendel is sure a fun pistol to shoot. Imagine having 30 rounds of 22 mag at your disposal with 2 extra magazines ready to go. FUN!

Tatters-I have a Ruger 77/22, a Marlin 882SS, and just acquired a Grendel P30. I get a kick out of my 22 mag. I try to buy ammo in bulk at gun shows or when I find it on sale somewhere. It can be pretty reasonable to buy. I get very respectable accuracy out of my rifles and the Grendel is sure a fun pistol to shoot. Imagine having 30 rounds of 22 mag at your disposal with 2 extra magazines ready to go. FUN!

Tatters,- I have a H&K Mod 300. It's not produced any longer but is a great rifle. It wears an old Redfield 3-9x40 scope on H&K detachable mounts. If you ever find one of these rifles, buy it. They run about $500.- to $1,000.- at this point.

I also just recently bought a Remington Mod 597 in .22mag that is not too bad a rifle. It is fairly accurate, though I haven't actually shot it on paper yet to see how tight a group it will shoot. The only problem I see with it as of now is the magazine. It's made of plastic and is too flexible. The rounds jamb and don'r feed properly. Remingtoon claims they are working on solving that problem.

In a handgun, I also have an AMT Automag II in .22Mag. It is very accurate and I usually take it in the woods as a backup gun for dispatching wounded game.

For those of you that recomended the .223, I think that is in a completely different class. The next obvious step is the .22 Hornet. I have a Ruger M77MkII Heavy barreled All Weather stainless in it. Now that is expensive to shoot.

------------------

Here are my thoughts on this. There is a step between the LR and a .22 centerfire. And that step is the magnum. It has been said of it that it fulfils nothing. Too powerful for small-game, and not long-range enough for other tasks. But there is a niche for it -- certianly. I will grant that it is a small one, but it does exist. And for the people that need a bit of extra power and range in a small cartridge, but a centerfire would be overkill -- this is for them. And i happen to be one of those people. The .22 mag perfectly fulfils my needs. I can shoot close if needed and not completely puliverise, but I can go somewhat long too. It is kinda my dream cartridge. You could say about its use for me -- just right. My grandfather had a saying, it was, "Why make somethign better than it has to be?" I agree! And for me, and a lot of others, centerfire is "better than it has to be."

Hueco

Thanks for the thoughts, everyone. I have some co workers who have these very same thoughts. A mix of ideas all with good points.. Thanks very much

------------------
So many a'holes-- so few bullets!------
Ford Fairlane :D

[This message has been edited by tatters (edited December 19, 1999).]

Back