.22 Mag vs .32

Which do you prefer?

Votes: 19 37.3%

Votes: 32 62.7%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

TruthTellers

For .32 revolver, I'm saying anything .32 S&W Long, H&R Magnum, or .327 Federal.

Personally I go with .32 and I don't care what the price is. The only .22 Mag revolvers that hold more than 6 rounds that I know of are the huge Taurus Trackers. With a 6 round capacity a .22 Mag seems pointless when .32's are available in the same amount.

Also with .32 you get the reliable centerfire priming, lighter triggers, bigger bullets, and less blast with the non .327 loads.

That's my opinion, which do you prefer? .22 Mag or a .32 revolver?

UPDATE: Taurus makes an 8 shot .22 Mag, the 941. Thanks for the reminder, I'd forgotten about that.

Last edited:
Even little old 32 S&W long shoots a slug about twice as heavy as a 22 and 1.5 times the diameter. Plus it has barely any recoil. That's my recommendation for someone who's "not a gun person" and is extremely adverse to recoil.

I personally don't carry 32 S&W long or "short", but I would be fine with 32 H&R magnum or 327 magnum.

I would only carry some kind of 22 if that were my only choice.

I have both a 22/22 mag and a 327 Fed mag. I can reload the 327 for less than the cost of a 22 mag. The 327 has a lot more punch and it is a bit noisy, the recoil is a bit more than the 22 mag in the same weight gun. I have the Ruger Single 7 and also the Ruger Single 6 convertible. The 327 is FUN !

I've been a fan of the .22WMR for a long time, but I wouldn't carry one for defense.

I've shot a couple .32s and they didn't do much for me, so I skipped over owning one.

For defensive use, I'll stick with the .38 Special. For field use, the .22WMR offers me better ballistics than the Long Rifle and a good variety of factory loaded bullet weights.

TruthTellers said:
For .32 revolver, I'm saying anything .32 S&W Long, H&R Magnum, or .327 Federal.
That covers a very broad range of velocities and bullet weights & types.

Personally I go with .32 and I don't care what the price is. The only .22 Mag revolvers that hold more than 6 rounds that I know of are the huge Taurus Trackers. With a 6 round capacity a .22 Mag seems pointless when .32's are available in the same amount.

Also with .32 you get the reliable centerfire priming, lighter triggers, bigger bullets, and less blast with the non .327 loads.

That's my opinion, which do you prefer? .22 Mag or a .32 revolver?

For what purpose?

For what purpose? That said,

I don't shoot any .22Mag just .22LR. .32 H&R Mag is my reloadable .22 cartridge. Now that .22 is back, the .32s don't see much action. Never did see the point of the .327 Mag. If I need more than the ..22LR, there is always the .357, and if I need more, then is the 0.4X calibers.

So between the two, the .32 would be my choice.

I have J frame revolvers that I carry in 32 HR and 327 when I can't manage the semi rig. I probably wouldn't move to a 22 J unless I started to have real physical problems. I still would prefer a 32 Long though.

One situation I might carry a .22 mag revolver over a .32 is when hunting on a WMA in Georgia during small game season. I can legally hunt small game or feral hogs with a rimfire, shotgun with birdshot, or muzzle loader on a WMA during small game only seasons but can't use a centerfire.

I would rather use the .32 over the .22 mag for just about anything else. .32 S&W long with full wadcutters is a pleasure to use for target practice and does a fine job dispatching armadillos or venomous snakes.

TruthTellers said:
All uses. Defense, plinking, hunting, pest control, etc. etc. You name the use and which you'd rather have for that particular use.
I'll just says this: I own one revolver in .327 Federal Magnum (which, of course, will also shoot .32 S&W, .32 H&R Magnum, and .32 ACP), and two .22LR/.22WMR convertibles. If I decide to take along a small bore revolver for an afternoon or evening at the range ... it isn't the .327. I think I may have run about 24 rounds through it (maybe 30) when I first bought, then it went in the safe and hasn't been out since.

I'll just says this: I own one revolver in .327 Federal Magnum (which, of course, will also shoot .32 S&W, .32 H&R Magnum, and .32 ACP), and two .22LR/.22WMR convertibles. If I decide to take along a small bore revolver for an afternoon or evening at the range ... it isn't the .327. I think I may have run about 24 rounds through it (maybe 30) when I first bought, then it went in the safe and hasn't been out since.
Would this .327 happen to be an SP101 and would it happen to be for sale?

The only .22 Mag revolvers that hold more than 6 rounds that I know of are the huge Taurus Trackers.

As far as I know Taurus still makes an 8 shot J-Frame sized revolver. I had one and had trouble getting empties out of the cylinder even after I polished them. I sold the gun pretty quick. But I still really like the 22 mag round. I just shoot it in the Ruger single six or my Marlin bolt actions.

I voted 32 and am a real fan of the 32 rounds. I shoot and reload for the 32 and 32 mag round. I also cast most of the bullets I shoot. I rarely shoot full power 32 mag rounds and so have never seen the need to get a 327. If I need the extra power I will just make the jump to a 357 mag round. I will always recommend a good quality 32 especially if you go the extra step and reload for it.

Most of my 32 long loads are loaded to 850-900fps. A little more than the factory rounds. But all my 32 long guns were made by S&W in the 1970s. I don't have any of the weaker top break guns from the turn of the last century.

I prefer the .32 S&W Long over the .22 WMR because of the superior accuracy that a .32 S&W Long delivers at 25 m for target shooting. The benefit for me is also, that I can cast my own bullets and load my own.

mnzEmTVh.jpg

What is the fixation with capacity? If you want capacity in a 22 WRM carry a Keltec PMR or CMR, 30 rounds of love. That being said, the smallest SD pistol I carry is a J frame 357 mag.

The only .22 Mag revolvers that hold more than 6 rounds that I know of are the huge Taurus Trackers.

Unless they were discontinued Taurus made/makes the 941 UL which is a 8 shot snub nose.

Hmmm

I'm certain that my Taurus 94 is a 9 shooter, not 8.

I like it a lot, other than the heavy DA trigger pull. That's not a Taurus issue, it's a J frame size issue. The single action pull is decent.

Back