22 mag shot shell?

Prof Young

Does anyone make a 22 magnum shot shell? Am thinking this could turn my derringer into a snake gun.

Live well, be safe
Prof Young

I would recommend a good used single shot .410 shotgun as a far superior snake gun. I picked mine up off a used gun rack just a couple of years ago for forty dollars.

In these parts, you will not likely kill a big rattler with a .22 bird shot that is if you even hit it with the tiny winy shot. Get the right tool for the job. I am morally opposed to injuring or maiming any creature. If it needs to be put away, then do so in a humane manner and not with cruelty.

My Taurus Judge deals death to prairie rattlers out here. Always plenty of them around when they move to their dens/pits for winter. Usually during antelope/deer season. I pack it and my rifle.

I had a .22 mag that I used some CCI loads on for snakes years ago. VERY short range due to both the extremely small shot size (#12) and the rifling spin that spreads the pattern out. Shots further than about 6ft won't do enough damage to a big cottonmouth or rattler to put them down quickly. I gave up on that one and started using CCI loads in .38 and .44. Those use larger #9 shot and there are more pellets.

"...the rifling spin that spreads the pattern out..." Yep. And it makes no difference what calibre. Shot string flies in a spiral sending the shoot all over.
"...not likely kill a big rattler with a .22 bird shot..." Six feet o' stick works every time. snicker.
Really best to leave Kaa alone and he'll leave you alone. Kaa eats stuff nobody likes that carry and spread disease. Watch where you put your big feet.

Distance IS limited because of the rifling, but it does work on snakes.

I killed a sizable one several years ago with my Ruger Single-Six.
I've also done testing through several guns & calibers.

Tightest spread & best (in my opinion) combo is .38 Special shotshells through a snub.
That's for handguns.

Most of us don't want to lug around a single-shot .410 shotgun just for snakes.
Handgun's much more convenient.
Denis

The .22 Magnum shotshell is a lot more effective the the .22lr shotshell. Still might not be enough for big snakes. A head shot with regular ammo works fine if you're close. If you aren't close no need to shoot.

And it makes no difference what calibre

While you are correct that all calibers will get that spin spread, the fact that the .38 and .44 shotshells hold lots more pellets mitigates that spread enough to give you more distance. I carry both (depending on what revolver I'm carrying at the time) and I feel very comfortable shooting a fat cottonmouth out to about 6 paces.

What makes the most difference is shot charge & velocity.
That's why the .38 snub was the best performer in my testing with over 20 different guns.

The smaller the shot charge (both pellet size & volume), the least effective coverage & penetration.
The faster the velocity, the faster the shot charge spins & spreads outwards.

Least effective in longer barrels that produce more velocity.
Denis

Thanks . . .

Thanks for all the good info. Never had need to kill a snake but was shooting my derringer for the fun. Came to me that with some shot shells it might make a snake gun.

Live well, be safe
Prof Young

Get some and try them out. I've not used the .22 mag version, and I doubt most people commenting have. I prefer a little larger shot than that. Handloaded a lot of the Speer shot capsules for 38 and 44. They do tend to pattern better at lower velocities.

Used to load a bunch for a friend of mine for his Texas trips. He found that a capsule full of #9 from his 6" Security Six was pretty devastating on big Texas snakes at 10' or less.

They hold about 260 #12 shot and yes you can kill a snake with them if your close enough.

FWTW you will get better patterns the shorter your barrel 3 yards would be a "long" shot with the .22 mag.

I use cut down .410 wads in my homade 45 ACP shot shells and get much better patterns than any of the capsules or over/under shot card loads I have tried.

22-wmr-shotshell.jpg

Back