22 Mag on Coyote?

Keno311

I'm new to coyote hunting. I went for the first time last week and realized real quickly that my brand new Ruger m77 varmint in 25-06 is way too heavy to be hauling around in these wv mountains. Unless i'm on a former mine sight (which I will use the 25-06 for) my maximum range will be right around 100 yds. I'm thinking about getting a lightweight 22 mag for when I'm hunting in the mountains. How do you experienced coyote hunters feel about using a 22 mag? Thanks

I'm not a coyote hunter but I have seen several deer taken with winchester semi-jacketed HPs. Before folks start to jump my case I'm not advocating such practices but it can be done. They ones I seen were all head shots and one neck shot. It comes down to shooter's ability.

I'd prefer a 243 (or similar varmint caliber) in a light break action H&R, rossi, or NEF personally.

I think a 22mag will work, but you will limit your shots (esp long shots).

Know your trajectory first and humane shot next.

Generally, the .22 mag is not known for excellent accuracy (tight groups). I don't know if it's the rifles or the ammo. I had a Marlin bolt action and was rather disappointed.

If you can get a first shot from a cold barrel to always hit the desired point of aim, great. With that particular cartridge, I'd restrict myself to head shots, and ranges probably no more than 50 to 75 yards...

Art

as an owner of a marlin bolt, i think it is an outstanding round. i've dropped k9 sized critters at 100yds with a .22lr and i've had them do a roll and keep running after getting pelted with .357's at almost equal yardage. my great uncle doc kept his family fed with deer using .22 shorts, but last year i got tangled up with the biggest meanest opossum that took 8 rounds of .22 short to the head. i generally run outside with a five gallon bucket and they just fall over and "faint" and i scoop them up and haul them down to the river and turn them loose. this big feller bowed up and wanted to fight making me put on my brakes and retreat for the jc higgins. bullets are sure a weird thing. that's why there are so many different kinds.

22 mag will work

I would use somthing a little flater shooting like a 222 rem.Or a 22-250,or22 swift.If you want to really get out there.22 mag is great for 100yd-150yd closer shots.

Go for it... I've seen .22mag take javelina down here in AZ... Never hunted coyote with the cartridge, but I don't own a gun that shoots it anyways.

Art,
Sorry to hear you had trouble with your Marlin 22mag. I've got two and love them, very accurate. Maybe you just got a lemon.

Humbled, I agree with you about Marlin bolt guns. But that particular critter just never was worth a hoot. It didn't like CCI, Rem, Win; didn't like solids or hollow-points. About the best it would do was around two MOA. Yuck. And grump.

I'm used to folks telling me about the .22 mag and somewhere around one MOA as being the best they could get, but two? Yuck.

Art

I like the 22mag but i use the 223 handi rifle for coyotes the ammo is not that more expensive and it has more range.
But at modest range a 22mag hp would do the trick well enough.
The only Marlin rifle i've ever had problems with was a clip fed 22mag. It was one of the cheaper models and when new would fail to eject at least half the time.
I was never happy with the gun it was never dependable and had several problems the whole time i owned it.
I have other Marlins including 22lr 30-30 and other 22mags that have given good service for years.

I have found an AR15 works great on coyotes,and I have shot many .you can't beat it for a quick follow up shot if there more than 1 .:D

The .22 Mag is very adequate for 'yotes. Stick to 40 gr. or heavier HP's and keep your shots to 100 yards or less and you'll do fine. I have a Marlin 22 Mag that is my favorite rifle for calling in brushy areas. For long shots, I'll stick to my .243.

Back