.22 mag autoloader

kuca_2004

Does anybody make a 22 mag/22 WMR rifle in a tactical/AR style rifle? obviously a autoloader semi automatic. Let me know if there is something out there.

Not that I've ever seen. Not many semi-auto .22 mags at all. Other than the Rem 597. You might find a 10/22 Mag, if you look hard enough, that can be gussied up. Discontinued in 2006.
Ammo's too expensive for starters. No such thing as a 'tactical' rifle either.

I thought Kel-Tec was coming out with a PRM in a carbine.

Those guys just **** me off anymore. They have some good stuff that no one can get a hold of. I'm tired of holding my breath waiting for the PMR-30. I'm not adding the carbine to the list. Ok, I lied. I am adding it to the list:mad:

Google Black Lightning .22 magnum rifle. I have read they jam a lot like most other .22 mags. They just dont work well in blow back actions.

Last edited:
.22 WMR doesn't work well, at all, in blow-back actions.
Pressure is too high, with too much bearing surface.

The people that I have known, that had any kind of .22 WMR autoloader (other than the AutoMag II and PMR-30*), had more problems with bolts battering the receiver, rims getting torn the by extractor, cases splitting, and cases rupturing, than anything else that I've ever seen.

*The AutoMag II and PMR-30 use special chamber designs to reduce bearing surface in the chamber, as an ejection/extraction aid. It helps, but doesn't completely solve the problems inherent to the concept.

It's just a bad combination.
One of the problems is the fact that every .22 WMR ammunition manufacturer optimizes their ammo for a different purpose.
CCI, for a very long time, considered .22 WMR to be a handgun cartridge. As such, it was optimized for barrels of approximately 6-10".
Winchester, on the other hand, always considered .22 WMR to be a rifle cartridge. So, they optimized it for approximately 14-16" barrels.
And the few other companies that offer the ammo, like ArmsCor, fall somewhere in between - but usually favor the 'handgun' approach.
(Very few companies even load .22 WMR. Over 80% of the current supply is manufactured by CCI, for one of their ATK brands or under contract by Hornady, Remington, Fiocchi, etc.)

Stick "handgun" ammo in a semi-auto rifle, and you're more likely to have extraction issues.
Stick overly-slow "rifle" ammo in it, and you're more likely to have ruptured cases.
Stick something in the middle in there, and there's no telling what problems might show up. ...Or if it will run like a dream.

I have a semi-auto CZ 22 mag rifle that works good.
Interesting thing about them,the forend is hollow and a large extension of the bolt operates within.It makes for more mass.
Winchester did a similar thing with the .351 and .401 self loaders.

But this rifle in no way resembles AR/Tactical!!

Nice walnut,cut checkering,and milled blue steel parts!!

Like a US rifle from the 30's,40's,50's.

Weatherby used to market an Italian-made 22 WMR semiauto as the Mark XXII. High Standard offered one, as did Mossberg. CZ makes the 512, though. One problem is that you are launching a jacketed mid-weight bullet at just over 2,000 fps. Not enough powder/gas for gas-operated, and not enough recoil for recoil-operated, but almost too much impulse for straight blowback. There are several good rifles in 22WMR, and they are fun (if a bit expensive) to shoot.

Micro,I called mine a CZ ,but its the Brno you have.Nice rifle!!

Mine has a Burris 6x Compact on it.It works out well.

I had an H&R 22WMR that functioned well enough. It's downfall was mediocre accuracy and uncertain performance of the ammo available at that time (late 70's- early 80's). I swapped it for a Mini-14 and only gained more noise and ammo expense.

those old BRNO rifles are nice... I love mine... wish I could find a couple extra magazines...

attachment.php

Back