.22 LR target pistols

BlkHawk73

Would like first hand experiences others have with the following...
Benelli MP90S
Beretta 87 Target
EAA Baikal IZH-35
Thanx!

The Benelli is the gun that I shoot best one handed, Bullseye style. The trigger is excellent. So is the Beretta trigger. The Beretta and Baikal don't balance the same as a Benelli. The grips don't fit my hand. I don't know whose hand they would fit. The Benelli grips fit.

The Benelli is a superb quality gun, as is the Beretta. I assume that you are looking at a Beretta from a few years ago with the wood grip, not the new rubber gripped model, which I would avoid.

The Baikal is, well, Commie Crap for the most part. The trigger is mushy but can be adjusted to be halfway shootable. The grips are FrankenStein shaped wood but can be trimmed to fit the hand.

But when the Benelli is ready to compete out of the box, why bother with the others?

You have left out he S&W model 41, which is in the sameclass. Used ones can sometimes be found as cheap as $400.

banjobart,
Why do you say to avoid the new Beretta 87 Target? The few times I've handled the gun, I was impressed with its balance and workmanship (haven't fired one though).

I have a Benelli MP95 Atlanta. For a straight target pistol, its the best bang for the buck. Yes, they are getting a little pricey now ($650 - $700 in my area), but they are worth the money. I've have Hi-Standards and modified Rugers, but its hard to beat the Benelli.

Pilot

How much is MP90S going for nowadays? It's been on my list for a couple of years now but still only in the middle of the pack on what to buy next.

Commie crap!!!!

That "Commie crap" is the best buy in that class this and every year!

Only called "crap" by the blindest of Ruski-Phobes.

It's a wonderful pistol!

Stocky

Ok, I just like alliteration.

The Ruger competition model is in the same class shooting-wise as these other pistols, too.

I still refuse to support a country that oppresses it's citizens buy buying of all things, a firearm from them.

You're a bit behind the history - Russian citizens can buy anything they want, if they have money, of course.Paperwork is still required... BTW, I doubt there is more freedom to buy firearms in Italy than in Russia. I also doubt you ever had a chance to shoot IZH-35, 'cause it has just about the best adjsutable trigger among this class of pistols.

The Ruger competition model is in the same class shooting-wise as these other pistols, too.

No, not really.

The Benelli and the IZH have better grips, better sights, better triggers and lower bore lines. The Ruger is probably very close in terms of raw mechanical accuracy, but it doesn't have the ergonomic refinement of a pistol designed for ISSF competition.

Pistols with the same basic design as the IZH 35M (which is an Americanized derivative of the IJ-35) have been used to win Olympic medals. While the Ruger is a great pistol, it's very unlikely that anyone will ever take one to the Olympics, let alone win with one.

I shot my buddie's piece of Commie crap after I trimmed down his grips to fit his hand. I have a rimfire range out in back of the shop and also shoot indoors in the shop. The trigger was the creepiest thing I have ever stuck a finger in, even after adjusting it all the way and lubing it.

If the Soviet and Russian gummints had not oppressed their citizens from 1917-1987 (70 years) then they would have the money to buy consumer goods.

Some bullseye shooters I know put an ergo grip on the Rugers and sometines also a premium barrel, as well as on the S&W 41. The 41 has won more than once at Camp Perry.

The sights on a 22 pistol for competition in the US don't much matter because on the Bullseye circuit in America you have to shoot with a red dot to be competitive.

I only post about guns that I own and do not make stuff up.

[Edited by banjobart on 05-14-2001 at 10:55 AM]

If you insist on a crisp trigger then I can understand why you wouldn't like the IZH 35M. The trigger is smooth, but it isn't crisp like a Smith 41 or a Hi-Standard.

Back